IGNORED

madkaw megasquirt

Patcon

I plan to do MS using the patton adapters. I like the fact that I can make it look like it still has su carbs. There will just be some extra wires showing. It will be just like having twin throttle bodies. Modify the domes to run wires and keep the float bowls for decoration.

But don't ask me when I will even start or finish, or I may just go with a stock non-egr efi manifold.

Believe me Leon, I can't wait. I will be looking to you for help with some timing curves.

It will be bitter sweet when I let go o the triples, but that will be progress for me.

I'm hoping that I can get a custom intake with FI to make better power then the triples.

Reminder to myself- get engine dynoed!

Believe me Leon, I can't wait. I will be looking to you for help with some timing curves.

It will be bitter sweet when I let go o the triples, but that will be progress for me.

I'm hoping that I can get a custom intake with FI to make better power then the triples.

Reminder to myself- get engine dynoed!

I'd be happy to help. I've been itching to go ITB but that's been put-off as the triples have really grown on me. Who knows, I may find a good deal on throttle bodies and there goes that... :)

Madkaw, I'm not ready to jump on board with the MS yet, but I think I'll get there before too much longer. I think my system is drifting even leaner, and I will need to re-tune when I find a few moments. So I'm very interested in this thread.

Sarah,

I was really hoping you would jump on board on this. I am always impressed with your posts and knowledge of the Z systems. If you haven't already, look at the "megamanual" or visit the MS sites and do some reading. You are probably already ahead of me with the knowledge of FI systems. It also seems from reading that you maintain your car well, which is important for doing a project like this.

I actually purchased Matt Crammer's book on performance FI to get myself up to date on FI. Matt also frequents Hybridz to answer questions regarding MS and seems to be very supportive.

I think the place for one to start is getting a wideband O2 sensor. It's interesting to see in real time how the engine is burning the fuel. The wideband is the basis for all your tuning with the MS.

As soon as I get my laptop back I will start posting pics of my progress. Right now it's staring at schematics for hours it seems to see how I want to implement or integrate the MS system on my car. Like I said earlier, my car is far from a stock 71 and for direct application for others it won't work. It might give some ideas and help folks understand FI and how it is structured. For now I have 2 very large bundles of wires and a computer to find places for.

From what I can tell the biggest difference in your car would be fuel maps and spark curve due to the displacement, head work and cam. Unless you do something really different and the reality is everyones maps and curves will be a little different because all engines vary from one to another. Your maps however would be very helpful if I ever build something with a V07 I have laying around ;).

C

Well actually what I am trying to say is, that most MS users would probably be like Sarah. They would be tired of the old EMS and it's lack of flexibility. Let's face it, if you have a 76 Z and want to put headers and a cam, you really can't support that with the current ECU. My adaptation of MS will be far different then a current FI Z car. I will be using high impedance injectors and LS1 coils COP. It's probably not going to help folks with stock FI make the transition easily. This will be an intimidating task for most and then not have any similarities between my set up and the stock FI will make it confusing. The little stuff like the relays that are on a current FI Z could probably be reused or rewired to make the main circuit for the MS, where as I will be starting from scratch.

Like I said, I don't mind sharing, but it will help the few in my circumstance.

Hi Steve,

I've only glanced at the MS literature long enough to appreciate that a MS retrofit isn't a plug 'n play process and that it will take a bit of time and study. Unfortunately time is a scarce commodity for me at the moment, so I can't be much more than an interested observer. Perhaps I can contribute moral support? LOL

Lads

I run Megasquirt on my Z. Love the set up. It's not difficult to set up nor tune if you don't go overboard, I mean it only needs three sensors - or at least that's what I'm running - and it runs just perfect. I've been running it for about a year and a half now. I tried to keep it as stock looking as possible, I will eventually run ITB's when the time and money comes. Here's a pic of how it looks now.

Fastwoman, as much as it seems its a rather simple install. I still run a dizzy so I don't have to deal with spark maps and curves. I know I'm not getting the most out of the power but I perfer to run it like that as its simpler. If you all have questions let me know.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/527276_10152006457680347_412958556_n.jpg

Edited by Pomorza