IGNORED

madkaw megasquirt

Patcon

madkaw,

I don't know if you have done this on another forum, but would you consider starting a thread documenting your MS conversion or just use this one. I don't spend time on Hybrid Z anymore and would find it interesting and possibly helpful in the future to follow your steps to converting over to EFI. I love the look and sound of triples but as I get older there are some aspects of EFI that I find really appealing...

Charles

I feel like I've been "called out" seeing my user name starting a thread which I haven't been on-LOL

I have considered this, but I am educating myself as we speak. I know there will be only a few on this site that would see the thread as useful, but it is grassroots motoring really. Let's face it, we have Z therapy carbs, and Triple carbs to modify old school carb induction, but not much for the other fuel injected crowd. I personally think triples are cool, but now I think a modified fuel injection would be cooler:cool:

I am getting a bit tired of the float bowl smell of the triples, and the lack of precise tuning ability. The fuel injection idea was intimidating to me early, but after doing some reading I realize how simple it is with less parts to give troubles. In fact, my triples will be going on the market this fall to help pay for my progression to FI.

I have recently purchased the Megasquirt MS3x ECU with harnesses. The long term plan is to wire up the ECU and first use it to run spark on my engine. I elected this route so I can keep my existing ignition on the car and usable as I develop my distributorless ignition. There are several members that have done this already with good results(Leon). One big benefit with this is designing your on timing curve. I think Leon gained a decent % with his set-up.

The members that are already have FI cars are far ahead of me since you already have an intake that supports FI now. With something like MS you can modify your engine and have a computer to keep up and take advantage of this. You could also throw away those expensive parts like your MAF and run a simpler MAP system. Performance FI is where its at and where I want to go.

I was just trying to help you lay claim to it with out you being self serving ;)

I have Z therapy carbs, triple Webers on the shelf, 2 turbo motors and an L28e sitting around. I am probably going to put a turbo l28 in the car I am working on now. I will try to get it running with the stock system and then switch over to MS in the future for the ability to run higher boost and spark control. So your progress and how to will help find the areas that have to be addressed. I have a 95 suburban that a built a motor for and it required a custom chip so I have had to learn how to do that. After seeing what could be controlled from the ECU there are some real advantages to EFI. As well as some things I won't miss such as fuel bowl levels and old gas issues. I like both, but I am just getting to the point where I want to get into a car after several weeks of sitting and it will start, idle and drive with out a lot of fuss. None of my carb vehicles are like that. Also I have an 83 F350 work truck that I might fuel inject at some point so all of your info might help with that also. I agree that there are fewer members here that this would apply to versus other forums but they are here none the less and more will probably follow...besides this forum is just so helpful and polite...

Charles

Patton Machine makes adapters that use the su carb throttle bodies to put injectors in. You can either get the whole system or just the adapters. A friend of mine just put one of these systems in his dime.

Patton Machine

Here is a facebook page showing his conversion.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/140541961413/

Edited by Darrel

I thought it was a pretty slick setup. For me I will probably dealing with a turbo setup so a stock turbo intake, new fuel rail, larger injectors and more boost. MS would be a way around the original system for tune-ability and custom fuel maps.

Charles

I have done some programming with the TBI ECU Patton is using. It is what my 95 Suburban I am tuning has. It will do an awful lot fuel maps, spark, idle air, control and electronic tranny etc.. The problem is there are some support groups like 3rd gen that do alot of hacking of these ecu's and reprogramming, but megasquirt is somebodies product so there is better support to help solve problems and less of a need to reinvent the wheel or rely on a forum. No slam on forums but everyone on 3rd gen seems to be doing something different and with a different ECU's so it is hard to find someone with experience for your particular problem. Also for the GM module you need a piggy back chip and a chip burner, etc or an emulator in order to work on your tuning. At least with mega squirt every one is sort of starting with the same system. I believe "six_shooter" is running a GM based EFI on his Z If I remember correctly... I have considered going this route simply because I already know a good bit about the tables and lay out.

Charles

Well like I said, for the majority of first generation FI Z owners, 75-83 models, there is limited engine modifications that can be done because of the ECU limitations. It's a shame that the guys wanting more HP have to revert back to carbs. I kind of understand this because of the black magic of smoke and wires. Plus there's much more support for carbs than aftermarket EMS on these forums.

It seems that there is strong support for the MS systems on Hybridz and on the MSEFI forums. I'd like to see more done on this site . I know this a site more geared for the purist, but updated the computer that runs your car will hardly be noticed for most.

That's all fine and good. But I think my application would not benefit the group as a whole. For this to be beneficial to a much larger group I would be doing this on a stock FI year model. My car is so modified that I should be kicked off this site- LOL

Someone that had all the stock wiring schematics and strong knowledge of the wiring on their 75-83 NA car would be a better canidate. I would be more than willing to spread my limited knowledge to get it done.