IGNORED

Genuine PS30-SB 'Fairlady Z432-R' refresh story in Gallery

HS30-H

Thanks to Takeuchi san for sharing his photos and to Alan for starting this thread and posting the details of the unique 432-R items and the homologation information. I'm interested in seeing more photos of the unique pieces and some of the interior, if possible.

-Mike

Hello geezer,

I have never seen PB=PZR before I saw your catalog ,that is very interesting.

I have 03/1970 and 03/1972 catalog, 03/1970 does not carry any Z432R parts while 03/1972 does.

I found the difference between yours and my 1972, there are Japanese discriptions on top of the english parts name can be seen on mine.

And mine does not indicate OPT parts for the gas tank.

03/1972 catalog is a very small, just like a bible size. It is very useful, I can bring this anywhere I go for shopping.

Thakn you geezer:)

kats

Hi Kats- The copy I have is dated March 71 and doesn't include many PZR parts but the parts that are shown are labeled as model designation PB. Compare the pages below to the pages Chris posted covering the 100L fuel tank. Note the model designated, then look at page 37-7 and you will see part number 17350-E7201 shown to be optional but definitely listed as being available at the time of the build and only used for model PB.

PB=PZR

Also note that a reservoir tank doesn't serve the same purpose as an expansion tank and Nissan labeled them as such.

post-3193-14150822670227_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822670701_thumb.jpg

post-3193-141508226711_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822671504_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822671905_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris,

I think I am not answering for your question, but I show you my PZR spring set.

Long time ago, there was an article about Z432-R on "Car Magazine No. 204 Jun 1995" in Japan, a journalist said "it seems to me something odd to see the same part number for PZ and PZR about front spring, PZ's left front is used for PZR's right front, I guess it is just a mistake of listing in the book. PZR should have PZR-only part number for all the suspension springs... "

But this is not right, it is not mistake at all. Engineers wanted to have PZR's spring got lowered, so it is natural to have tested various combination of springs.

Finally they found and settled down to use of normal Z432's left spring (shorter than its right spring) for PZR's right spring.

Anyway, when the car was prepared for racing, they had got there spring modified more competetive special version.

It is unique, if you place an order to local Nissan as an owner of PZ ( Z432), you will get 54010-E4202 as a "spring front LH",

on the other hand,if you place an order as an owner of PZR ( Z432-R) , you will get same part number as a "spring front RH" on the tag.

Please see the attached pictures,first one showing they are all for Z432-R. Other 3 springs have E7200, exactly specific part number for PZR.

Second one is a comparison between PZ and PZR rear spring. All PZR springs have same ratio as a PZ (1.8 for front / 2.0 for rear, not so hard!)

While PZR's front springs are shorter than PZ,

PZR's rear springs are slightly longer than PZ, as it has a big gas tank (100 litter) , when the car is full of gas, it sits lower than PZ.

But you can see my PZR rear springs are shorter than PZ , is it just a result of bad quality control?

Last picture is from Car Magazine No.204.The car is famous in Japan

But some years ago the owner traded the car with a Lamborghini Diablo:cry:

Seems he could not forget about PZR, he bought a new PZR (very rough condition ,his exs PZR was a lot better) again.

kats

My book doesn't have a part listing for the reservoir. Even optional. Huh? In my book, the designation is PZ and PZR for the 432 and 432-R. In most cases, the part application is listed as "ALL" but in many instances specific models are listed for the application. I asked some threads ago about the applications across model variants with the PZR, but I see that in those instances, the application should have been noted as "ALL".

Here is one I would like to know about. What is different about the differential cross member 55450-E4200 or E4201 'member comp - differential mounting rear'? I am noticing that the 432-R came with different suspension springs and an 18mm rear sway bar? How about the steering gear ratios? Were they quicker?

post-3193-14150822672305_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822673034_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150822673755_thumb.jpg

Edited by kats
SPELLING

:classic:Thank you Takeuchi-san, those are very nice views of the 100L fuel tank. Even though I have never seen one in person, it certainly would be instantly recognizable if I did.

Great spring info and pics Kats.

I can't take my copy of the parts catalog shopping with me, even if there was a place to use it while shopping. It weighs over 30 lbs., is full size, appears to be a Xerox copy from the '70s with each page printed "one side", with a black felt paper backer on each page, enveloped in hard, transparent plastic 3-ring protectors, in hard cover binders. It has a complete index and option parts lists as well, with hand written translations. There is a bilingual mix of descriptions (Japanese & English). The publication number is not shown. I got it from a Nissan dealer that closed in the province of Quebec. It is one of my favorite Z catalogs to thumb through. Sorry for the terrible pics.

Chris, great questions! I have more questions than answers! It is such an interesting model capable of spawning our curiosity, at times far beyond this threads intent. Most times I have to restrain myself from branching too far off from the topic.

post-12938-14150822674533_thumb.jpg

post-12938-14150822675259_thumb.jpg

Edited by geezer
added pics

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just eating these photos up! So glad this collection of pics will be archived so we can all see how it is suppose to be done. The man doing the work, he's the real thing. If it can be replaced with equal or better he replaces, if it has to be patched he does so perfectly but doesn't hide it, accept for show panels of course. A joy to watch.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...