IGNORED

Hls30-24140

ksbeta

Hi Leon,

Front and Rears are both 225/50/15. Fronts rub at full lock, but that's rarely an issue. The rears are maybe a 1/2" from the spring perch, and have rubbed on occasion, though there's no rhyme or reason to when they do.

4.11 Rear end was fun for a while. Keeping eyes peeled for a 3.90 R180 though: I feel like an 18 wheeler shifting gears at red lights.

Upgraded brakes (4-pot Toyota Calipers up front, 15/16 MC, new 240z booster [RockAuto], and totally redone everything else) are absolute s$#@. Can't figure it out. Thought maybe I had the hard-lines at the MC swapped (Series-1 placement vs. 280zx placement) but swapping them just blew an O-Ring in a rear cylinder. I mean they are bad - the stock brakes on my '70 are better.

Any thoughts on why these brakes might blow? The only components of the brake system I didn't replace were the hard lines in the trans tunnel and the proportioning valves. Everything else is new.

Hi Leon,

Front and Rears are both 225/50/15. Fronts rub at full lock, but that's rarely an issue. The rears are maybe a 1/2" from the spring perch, and have rubbed on occasion, though there's no rhyme or reason to when they do.

4.11 Rear end was fun for a while. Keeping eyes peeled for a 3.90 R180 though: I feel like an 18 wheeler shifting gears at red lights.

Upgraded brakes (4-pot Toyota Calipers up front, 15/16 MC, new 240z booster [RockAuto], and totally redone everything else) are absolute s$#@. Can't figure it out. Thought maybe I had the hard-lines at the MC swapped (Series-1 placement vs. 280zx placement) but swapping them just blew an O-Ring in a rear cylinder. I mean they are bad - the stock brakes on my '70 are better.

Any thoughts on why these brakes might blow? The only components of the brake system I didn't replace were the hard lines in the trans tunnel and the proportioning valves. Everything else is new.

Hey, thanks for the response Bill!

What is it about the brakes that sucks? Mushy or just longer stopping distances?

Leon, long stopping distance, yep. I was hoping these 4-pots would grab more, but with such a hodgepodge of parts, its hard to say which element I goofed with.

Switch back to stock! The 4-piston brakes are not an upgrade, as you've noticed. The main issue is with brake distribution, there are some good threads on HybridZ about it.

Bill....You might want to try your 3:54 ........I love mine with the ZX 5 speed......don't forget to change the speedometer drive gear in the tranny so your speedometer reads accurately. It's a 10 minute swap....held in by one bolt. Guy

Man I wish this thread would break into multiple pages like every other thread on this site...

Guy - That's a thought. I wouldn't mind experiencing the 3.54/ ZX combo prior to dropping it back in. Is there a fall ZCCNV show you'll be attending?

Leon - Thanks. Irritating, but that's my fault for not researching enough. I'd like more braking than stock - I'll either read up on proportioning or look at "real" upgrades.

Blue - Thanks. My Japanese is poor, but does that read to be a 4.625? You're running the other way! I'll top out at 45 at that rate :)

Also, Leon: I purchased the "wrong" 15/16" master cylinder, the 82-83 model. I of course had to trim it to get it to work, but afterwards it bolted on fine. Other than the fitment issues, are there other reasons this was "wrong" as an upgrade? Does the reservoir layout negatively impact performance somehow?