IGNORED

Hls30-24140

ksbeta

Getting closer.

Brakes and clutch all buttoned up; pedals reattached. New Fan & clutch bolted up, and the Datsun Spirit head shield, along with the Air Horns & Filters from Wolf Creek are ready to go. Having some issues with the MSD setup. Followed the instructions on here to a T, but so far no-go. Probably something small, we'll get there.

post-21817-14150824468642_thumb.jpg

Finally, I cleared one of the bigger hurdles I was concerned about. I didn't want to cut the Series-1 dash or the Transmission Tunnel. While it would be a PITA, nearly everything I've done could be undone at this point. That would cross a threshold. Todd down at Tidewater Z fabricated the shift lever needed to make the 280ZX transmission work in a Series-1 without cutting up the console. His is the chrome/black one. The gold zinc one I purchased from Datsun Parts LLC., which was supposed to solve the same problem, but you can see from the angle it just hits the area near my choke knob.

Todd - Thanks much! And that lovely Gail working with him must know she deserves all the credit for this one...

post-21817-14150824470064_thumb.jpg

post-21817-141508244679_thumb.jpg

post-21817-14150824469285_thumb.jpg

Thanks Guy. I'll update on the shifter once it's in.

This MSD wiring is tricky. I've read nearly every thread on it, and there's not a lot of definitive alternatives.

I'm using the E12-80 Module, no ballast resistor, MSD Coil, and MSD Digital 6A. Not using the Green/Purple, and the rest of the wiring is per one of the threads on here. I've actually got another call into Todd to pick his brain; he mentioned at the show he probably knew what the issue was, but needed to get more details.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess if it were easy, there'd be more of these running around.

After some (surprise!) challenges with the radiator (280z unit), Jason managed to spark some life to this thing. Haven't had an opportunity to tune anything up yet, but it runs, and starts fairly easily with the reduction gear starter and MSD box working together, and hopefully that'll continue to improve as the engine breaks in. Pulled the butcher paper off and put the hood back on. Starting to look like a car again.

post-21817-14150824560685_thumb.jpg

I have to say - even without having been tuned yet, it sounds incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj5ThMGQ58w

post-21817-14150824559722_thumb.jpg

Got Todd's shift lever installed today. Fits great, no issues. Cycles through all gears without bumping. Great investment. Having issues with the MSD Tach Adapter, but will post in the Electrical section.

post-21817-14150824616478_thumb.jpg

post-21817-14150824617608_thumb.jpg

post-21817-14150824615791_thumb.jpg

post-21817-14150824617176_thumb.jpg

Wow, great project. Did Datsun Spirit build the L28 from scratch using in-stock parts? This is the first I've heard of Datsun Spirit outside of Z_k's signature. If I may ask, what does a build like that cost?

Also what process did you use to clean up the suspension bits? I love the "suspension tree", Captain's comment back in post #12 cracked me up :)

I know you're planning to freshen up the white exterior (which will look fantastic) but I gotta say, I really like the contrast of the grungy white exterior with the gorgeous & clean functionality of the engine bay and gleaming L28.