IGNORED

My Datsun 240Z

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Currently no updates on the Z since it's still in winter sleep :rolleyes:. When I take it out again it needs APK ( 2 yearly technical condition check from goverment for all motorvehicles ). Also then will give it some new oil and filter and the valves need adjustement.  I'm planning on rebuilding the 4 speed in the future, since it has never had a rebuild since it came out of the factory, and I do feel slight vibration into the shifter and in the steering wheel I think the gearbox has something to do with this, since I eliminated everything else.  Does anyone have a good adress for this here in West Europe ? Or The Netherlands ?

Also good news from the RDW here ( Goverment Vehicle Departement ): currently the APK rules no longer apply for vehicles before 1 januari 1960, but in 1 or 2 years this will be changed to 50 years and older ( 50 years barrrier moves with time.. ). So this means my Z and the Mustang who are near 50 years old will no longer need that 2 yearly road check.  It's a big relief for other classic car owners aswell I think...

Another update: The Mustang is done, and I'm waiting for spring to arrive to give it also APK and get it on the road, then I can start adjusting the ignition and carburetor.  I also installed a 12v vacuum pump + Canister to assist the brakes, since the engine wasn't pulling enough vacuum ( familiar problem with big cams ) to operate the booster.  Also did a rebuild on the floor shifter, feels solid again :) .  When I was breaking in the new cam ( had to replace valve springs afterwards for the stiffer ones from the camshaft kit ), I heard the drivers side exhaust leaking. Was a pain in the arse to take it off, but eventually got there, and found the header flange was missing some material on the number 8 exhaust port for sealing. So I welded it up and leveled the flange again, put new thicker gasket in between and now it's sealed thankfully. Also better copper gaskets between the headers and exhaust,  This build was a pain ( took about 2 years from engine out, sourcing parts in the US and back in ), since space is so tight on everything, compared to the Z's engine bay space, this thing is a hell to work on !  

During the cam break in, I noticed dash gauges not working, eventually took the whole god damn dash out to eventually find with a multimeter it was just a bad contact in a connector I could acces near the gas pedal lol. To bad for American Autowire quality ?! WTF no water proof connectors ?!

Here's some pictures ( video will follow later, having some troubles uploading )

1t80b4.jpg

or43yg.jpg

wbosom.jpg

1430pr7.jpg

11rev4l.jpg

34ngo4g.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...