IGNORED

Now that's a brake upgrade!

conedodger

im using standard brakes. Just finished rebuilding the front calipers. The sells between the two sections are hard to get.

Here is the kit I used to rebuild my calipers, it does contain the o-ring seals for the two halves of the caliper assembly if you choose to split them. The kit fits all S-30's and is available from Auto Zone, RockAuto, perhaps others. It is on closeout at RockAuto right now for $2.20 each (1 caliper). Google "Brakeware 66721" to locate them.

post-22303-1415082137151_thumb.jpg

I'm still on the plus side for the toyota 4x4 brakes, and at least on my car, improved braking. They bolt right on with no major work, but you do have to notch the backing plate.

Speaking of unsprung weight, I'm surprised none has mentioned this. What size tires and wheels are we all running? I'd venture to say that nobody who tracks their car is running 175-14's...

The larger wheels and tires probably add more unsprung weight, (and further out on the lever-arm of the suspension, where it has more effect), than the 3 lb's of the 4x4 "upgrade". And many of us are also running stiffer springs. What size wheels & tires are you running and how heavy are they? It would be an easy calculation to estimate the equivalent addition to unsprung weight at the location of the caliper.

FWIW, I've never had a nose dive issue with my 4x4 brakes, and I have tested them hard. It's all about balance. And as pointed-out above, Nissan engineered and offered a similar set-up as a "performance option".

To the real issue, are the stock brakes adequate? Of course, as is the HP of the original engine. But how many of us want more power, or have done things to get more HP? Same goes for handling and braking.

It's really about what the individual owner wants to do with their car. There are as many right answers as there are car owners. (To be honast, I admit to sharing my thoughts about some body modifications that are not to "my" taste). But it's just an opinion... Very much like the subject of this brake thread. :)

My impression is that they're pretty similar. If memory serves, vintage organizations allow for the Toy 4x4 setup as it is similar enough to that caliper, and they allow the vented Toy as it is similar enough to the vented Nissan Comp setup from back in the day.

The brakes he has pictured are not vented best I can tell from the pic. Was there another with a spacer and vented rotor?

Jon, I do have one in the house. I'm in the garage. I seem to recall that you're correct there was something called an FIA option. Now, wouldn't it be great if Eric and I could get our hands on a set of the Datsun Comp Calipers? We could recast them in aluminum, even put a spacer in and make a true brake upgrade. Lighter, gives up heat faster, vented rotor... An engineered upgrade without the compromises.

I haven't had a Nissan Comp catalog in my hands in a long time, but I seem to remember a non-vented and a vented setup. Vented was "FIA" (???) I think they also had different size wheel cylinders for the back, presumably to balance it out.

I have a Datsun and Nissan Comp catalog. If you need any info from them, I could PDF the pages of interest.