IGNORED

Carpet kits

grantf

grantf, you can quit. I did it 15 years ago cold turkey, no patch or gum, wanted off of nicotine. After the first 2 weeks it got better, couldn't go back now. Best thing I ever did for myself.

I imagine the sewing machine you have is way to light for the work you want to do. I've been around the sewing industry some years ago. It takes some heavy machines, some special, for carpet, leather and other materials. You might try to find an interior shop and ask around for what you are wanting to do, even though expensive you can ask and see what you could be up against.

Only an hour away from me is the 'McPherson College Automotive Restoration Institute'. They offer a week long class on 'Upholstery & Trim' in the summer off season, one class I hope to attend.

Bonzi Lon

At this time I am just considering it and thinking about what I may need. My supervisor at work has a sewing machine made for upholstery. He said He would lone it to me. He has used it on his boat, jet skis and model T. one thing I would need to know is what type of padding to use and if is sewn to the carpet of just glued to down. Also reference for a 77 interior. My current carpets are not stock, nor do they fit well.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would add to this thread about carpet kits. I have been searching for a kit for a 1971. Suprisingly, I found ACC kits at Rock Auto that were almost half the price ordering directly from ACC:stupid:

The kits are 186$ on Rock auto, and 360$ directly from ACC----WOW, what a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny how sometimes you plan on a nice summertime project and things get a little complicated with time. Again the carpets are on hold till I resolve the front cover oil leak and finish up a side job installing maple flooring and refinish oak floors for a client. This job has turned into "can you hang the new custom doors we ordered and fix the pocket door the last carpenter crewed up". And "could you install all of the door casings?". Little time for me and the Yellow Z, but I want it back on the road soon. Oh and " we decided we want a 3/4" mahogany inlay on the landing, can you do that? (after the floors were put down!).

I cannot say no in this economy.

post-17660-14150820358044_thumb.jpg

Edited by grantf

MSA sells carpet and upholstery kits from Distinctive Industries-most of our vendors do-Distinctive Industries does not sell direct...ACC prices went WAY up after their vendors pitched a fit ACC direct pricing was cheaper than the vendors prices-try StockInteriors.com for ACC product...

Smoking thing has been good (other than one during my Mom's celebration, She passed away last April). Side job has come to a short break, but will pick up in a few weeks:

post-17660-14150820510599_thumb.jpg

So I am pretty sure I am going to order from datsun spirit. My concerns are that the kit is sectional, not really stock, and I am unsure if they will understand that my hatch deck is the sloped type. Also if it will have the luggadge strap holes precut and bound somehow.

So if I go with this kit will I need sound deaden er? padding? any thoughts or write ups out there?

Edited by grantf