IGNORED

Zcon 2012

d240zx2

I'm just staring into my PC trying to think of something to say, other than a simple "Thanks". You, and Classiczcars, have all helped to provide me with the motivation, a huge wealth of knowledge, sometimes help sourcing really neat parts, and just a great place to spend time.

As many of you probably already know, I bought this car new in Tucson on March 25, 1971, and, when Nissan started the "Restoration" program, it became an obsession with me to restore this car to the condition it was in when new. I promise that I am not going to give you my life story, just that "The Bucket List" is finally starting to get smaller, and I have been able to revisit some of the same excitement and feeling after 41+ years.

Rich, it was really great to meet you and see what you have done with your really nice survivor car. That patina of originality should always remain untouched.

The neat thing is, I never want to stop tinkering and making it better.

So, Thanks to all for acknowledging what Zulaytr, one of my biggest motivators along with Kats since the 2004 ZCON, I, and a few others have been fortunate enough to experience.

Dan

Original Owner hls30-20419

2012 Gold Medallion

Edited by AZ-240z

Hey Rich,

How do you do in the show?

Marty

Hi Marty,

As a guy who always sees the glass half full, I took second to Dan’s first. The reality is that there were only two cars in our class, so it could also looks like I finished last. For now I will stick with second.

I must honestly say that Dan’s Z is the best stock restored Z that I have ever seen. I learned a lot from the viewing. Also learned a lot from the judging so it was a very good experience over all. The attention to detail is incredible. I can only say that I have been very lax in some items.

The other reality is the car will never be a Gold Medallion winner. That is not really my goal for the car. My goal is to just clean it and keep it as is, a minimally refreshed survivor ( I did clean up the engine zinc and block paint – more for ‘uniformity’ than anything else). I like it that way. I always enjoy showing it and am very proud to own it.

I was anticipating a “Best Survivor” possibility as noted on the ZCON 2012 website, but that never materialized. Not sure if it was an oversight or they just forgot that they posted it on the website.

One of the best parts of the car show was spending some time with Mr Matsuo. He always seems to take special interest in my car and spent a lot of time checking it over. I also got some great pictures of him with the car as well. His PowerPoint presentation Saturday night was awesome. It was great to relive a little of the Z history through his presentation. Jay (Espirit) did a great job translating.

I think the one thing I walked away with is that there are very few stock early 240Z’s out there. Seems as though most have succumbed to modification or decay. It makes me want to take care of my Z all the more. So all in all, it was a very good experience.

Best regards,

Rich

• 3 months later...

I finally got the judging sheets in the mail for my car from the 2012 ZCON, which I think was about 4 months ago. Not sure why it took so long, but nice to finally see the sheets. In general, I am not too disappointed with the assessment. Most of the write downs can be attributed to the fact that the car is 40 years old, so point deductions for wear are a given.

I thought I had the car pretty dog gone clean, but there were still some areas that were marked off for dirt. Will have to do a better job with the detailing. Should have had my daughter there, she details the car much better than I do.

There definitely is a difference in judging standards among the three judges. The Exterior judge was quite generous. The Interior and engine judges were much more hard-line.

The interior judge deducted points without even saying what was wrong on half the items. He did catch a couple small things (on the few that he did comment on) that I was not aware of, so that is good to know.

The engine judge filled in all the comments and deducted a lot of points for dirt. Not much I can say about that, I thought the motor was pretty clean. He took off points for the original factory weld on the oil pan. I guess your supposed to trash your original factory oil pan and buy a newer one? Anyway, that's my only beef. Otherwise, good job guys!