IGNORED

Z cars at the Concours

motorman7

OK here’s the first installment of La Jolla Concours pics. Since I took a first last year I was ineligible to win anything this year . However, those of us that were previous winners were in the main staging area of the show, so very nice location. Got to meet a lot of people and have a lot of great conversations. Mike of ZCSD took a second with his 1982 280Z in the Special Interest category, which was great. The few Japanese cars at this show were treated well. A small Toyota won the directors award. Very nice.

post-19125-14150823604634_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823605351_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823605967_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823606567_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823607166_thumb.jpg

post-19125-1415082360778_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823608404_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823609077_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823609791_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823610399_thumb.jpg

More cars. I must say, that maroon 1936 Alfa shown in the first set of pictures was absolutely incredible. By far my most favorite car in the show. An incredible work of art; the styling lines, curves and design make this thing just incredible to behold. They just don’t make them like that anymore. Just gorgeous.

post-19125-14150823611121_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823611854_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823612482_thumb.jpg

post-19125-141508236131_thumb.jpg

post-19125-141508236137_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823614308_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823614921_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823615712_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823616317_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150823616922_thumb.jpg

The other unique thing about both the Z’s at the show is that neither one is a restoration. There are very few cars in the show that have not been restored, maybe 4 or 5 others, out of almost 300 cars (That’s counting the preservation class!).

Several of the judges said they truly appreciated the non-restored cars and the effort to keep them that way. That was nice to hear coming from a judge. Also had a woman say my car was her favorite in the whole show. I think that just about made my day . Had countless people ask me what I thought the Z was worth. I told them $60K. No one argued with that (Of course, they may also have thought I was from Colorado or Washington state, so they let it go).

Edited by motorman7

The “Special Interest” category is for cars that don’t fit in any of the shows entry classes. So, it contains a pretty broad array of cars. I am not sure how many were in the class (there were at least 3). I think the first place in that category was some old 1930’s car, I want to say a Mercedes of some sort. Anyway, that is about all I know. Mike is very meticulous about his car, so nice to see him do well at the show. Again, this show seems to be very generous to the Japanese cars, which is very nice to see.

Not the Special interest class, the 1982 280Z.

Not super familiar with the car. I know it is in real nice shape and that he is not the original owner. I think he said he picked it up from someone on the east coast. It has pretty low miles on it.

Thanks, Motorman7. I am the owner of the 67 Toyota Sports 800 you mentioned. It was great to see the Z's there.

The problem is that La Jolla Concours needs a Japanese sports car class so we have an appropriate place to put these deserving cars. This year when I wanted to put the Toyota in there, I noticed there was no place to put it like you mentioned. I called the head judge and he just told me to put it in the microcar class since my engine is small. However the size of my car is larger than the normal "micro". Yesterday I got a call from an organizer for the La Jolla event and was informed that next year there will be a Japanese class and I am going to help to get some cars in there. Your Z should be welcomed next year into the new class. I already have a LHD Toyota 2000GT lined up and a Datsun or 2.

It was especially fun driving my little Sports 800 up on the award stage in between 2 giant/gorgeous Packards and Mercedes Benz cars for the Directors Choice Award.

I spoke with you last year at the same event and admired you Z. I worked at one of the first Datsun dealers in the US, Rothrock Datsun 1968/9 in PA. I was the new car prep manager at the dealer for 2 years, so I delivered tons of Datsuns, and even delivered the first Datsun Z exactly like yours to its owner at his house. At that time I owned a 1967.5 Datsun 1600 roadster.

I have the same problem with finding the right show and class. They stuck my Sunbeam Tiger V8 in a "open class over 4 liters" so I had to compete with a giant Muntz Jet that took first place. Last year at the La Jolla event I took my 67 Austin Mini Cooper S, but they put me in a British sedan place where I would have competed with Jaguars, Aston Martins etc. So I just declined judging.

So I hope we see some Japanese cars there next year. I assume you are going to the JCCS event this year?

Hi Scott,

It was great to see your car at the show and I am glad it was so well received. As I mentioned before, the La Jolla show has been very accommodating to the Japanese cars. I am glad they will be adding a Japanese class. I should have my 1600 roadster finished by then. It would be nice to enter it in the show.

I am planning on bringing my Z to the JCCS show this year. I brought it to the JCCS 3 years ago, so it is probably fine to bring it again. That is the only other show I am planning on attending this year.

Congrats again on a great show. I hope to meet you again at the JCCS.

Best regards,

Rich

Yesterday I got a call from an organizer for the La Jolla event and was informed that next year there will be a Japanese class and I am going to help to get some cars in there.

Hi Jamul:

The response from La Jolla - is a great example of why we should enter our Z's and other Japanese cars of Special Interest in higher end Events like this. Yes, you might be there alone the first couple of years, but as the number of Japanese entries grows - the Organizers of these events take notice and reach out to the community by opening new classes.

Past that we have to work with the orginazers - to properly sub-divide the Japanese Class as the number of different models show up. Modern Sedans, Sports Cars, Competition Cars, Micro's vs. Pre WW-II ect.

Then way down the road - - shouldn't a Datsun 240Z be in the same class as Porsche 911's, Corvettes, E-Types, and all other Classic/Collectiable Sports Cars of the 70's. So all cars are classed by Type rather than country of origin? Ah.. nothing is ever perfect.. The idea is to support, participate and enjoy the Event.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Carl,

I think just the addition of a Japanese class would be huge. Also, I think we would only see the subdividing of the Japanese classes at the larger foreign shows. Dana Point does it well as they have a class for ‘Sports Cars 3 litre and under, which allows the Japanese cars. Palos Verdes is very exclusive and will not have Japanese cars this year.

What surprises me is the general acceptance of the Japanese motorcycles at the concours events. Seems the motorcycles get a lot more respect than the cars. Anyway, just glad to see the Z’s there and doing well at the events.

Best regards,

Rich