IGNORED

Parts car available now--denver co

z boy mn

Not to hijack this thread, but... comments above regarding insurance valuations should be carefully considered. Conventional insurers (State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, ...etc.) typically look to so-called book values when trying to settle claims. In the absence of a book value for a 35-40 year-old car, they will try to go to local/area sale histories to try for a baseline. If you think your car is worth more than the $1,000 - $1,500 a similar model sold for, you might need to have collector's or antique auto insurance for a guaranteed value. It is no more expensive but usually has a clause preventing daily driver usage. Be cautious of "stated value" or "agreed upon value" contracts, insurers can and do fight these claims if you do not have professional appraisal to back it up.

Jim

It sucks that the shipping company wrecked your new Z, but I don't get the math of how you are out $10K. According the ad on this site the car sold for $4,500 http://www.datsunclassifieds.com/showproduct.php/product/6728/title/1972-datsun-240z/cat/1. You also said the shipper's insurance won't pay anything over the bill of sale. Wasn't the bill of sale for the sales price of the car? I agree with jfa.series1's comments about agreed upon value insurance (like Hagerty) if you qualify with their use restrictions, but it is not for everyone.

-Mike

Hey all...a final post on this...sorry to be so confusing, but to be honest, I was confused, too. :ermm:

The conflict was mainly between my insurance company and the shipper's insurance company. I think it's straightened out now and I'll be reimbursed the cost of the car and my insurance rates won't go up. Eventually, I won't be out any $$$...just my first Z.

And...when it arrives, I'll spend some time looking it over and post any parts that look usable. Then...I'll be on the hunt again!

Good luck on you're search. It sucks what happend, sort of like getting one lick of the ice cream then it falls off of the cone and lands in the mud.:disappoin

I'd say it's more like paying for the ice cream and having the ice cream man drop it as he hands it to you!