IGNORED

Parts car available now--denver co

z boy mn

Hey everyone,

Does anyone need a 1972 Datsun 240Z Parts car? I bought this car in Denver Colorado and while it was being shipped to MN it "fell off the transport" and was badly damaged. I'm still in MN, so the car will likely be scrapped for salvage...which just breaks my heart. The car (when it was whole) is my avatar...the car after the accident is attached.

I will need to move on this in a number of HOURS--so call me now if you can use it. 218-838-4488 and you are in Denver. I HATE the idea of it being crushed for steel.

P.S. If anyone ships their car, know that the insurance company covers it as "cargo" only...and will not pay its actual value according to NADA. I'm out $10K on this one. :disappoin

post-25850-14150818002782_thumb.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]51696[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51697[/ATTACH]

Edited by z boy mn

Wow...sorry for your loss! I remember when this Z was for sale (I believe it was on this site's classifieds) and thought somebody had scored a great deal. Was it insured?...really hope so. The bumpers and wheels look good, so you may want to take photos and post them in the classifieds here. Good luck and I hope you find another 240 Soon!

What was the name of the shipping company? So that they can be avoided in the future.

It seems like a simple lawsuit could get some of your money back. A shipping company that doesn't know how to ship should pay up. Some people think all lawsuits are bad, but this looks like a clear case of incompetence. What's the back story?

Overall, payment for damages and the damaged car delivered to your place in MN seems reasonable. Who is twisting your arm to make a decision in a couple of hours?

Sounds as though someone's insurance company is pushing for a fast settlement.... DO NOT SUCCUMB TO THE PRESSURE. They're pushing you so you do NOT have time to examine your options AND rights.

Tell them that you've contacted your lawyer and will advise them as to the outcome.

The insurance adjustor or whomever is giving you this "dead" line is pushing to have this "solved" at the lowest possible amount of money (i.e. none) because it was CARGO (BS, a CAR carrier isn't carrying pallets) and two because of the "time" constraints in order to have the claim satisfied "easily".

Contact YOUR own insurance agent, attorney or do some research.

E

Thanks for the advice everyone...I have contacted my agent as well as the seller. I've also requested a copy of the police report...but that will take a week+ (you have to do it by mail). The issue of time is that currently, the car is in an impound lot and if it stays there much longer the bill goes to me (as I am the legal owner).

The cargo insurance carrier is offering to pay me the actual cost of the vehicle plus the shipping to MN...but I don't have the resources to part it out...it would just get crushed when it gets here, too. Trying to keep Z's on the road...figure make the best of a bad situation.

I tend to agree with EScanlon. The insurance company is trying to minimize their costs with an artificial deadline. They should be liable for impound costs, not you. Even one extra day of impound costs ($100) could save you thousands of dollars. Think about waiting a day before agreeing to anything.

It's not clear how you could be losing $10,000 if the cargo company is going to pay you the "actual cost" of the car. Is the $10,000 a premium over what you paid for it? You're valuing it at $10,000 + ?

I'd still like to know the name of the companies involved.

Adam,

So sorry to hear about your loss! It made me sick to see the damage to your Z! At the very least the shipping company will reimburse the cost of the car and shipping. Hopefully they don't try to pass the cost of the impound lot on to you too! This Z still has a lot of good parts, so hopefully someone pick this up.

Robert S.

I think he's trying to sell the whole car.

It would help to list the parts that are on it and the extent of the damage. Can't tell from the pictures. Maybe the whole thing is savable, although it would have a salvage title. There are several accounts, some on this forum, of people replacing the complete tops of their cars, to get rid of a sunroof.

Hey hey....back for an update...the car is now on a truck on its way to MN, and the insurance companies can argue about it's value. My insurance company says the value is the value per NADA, but at the same time they don't want to pay it--they want the shipper's insurance to pay for it. The shipper's insurance won't pay anything over the bill of sale.

When this is all finished, I'll certainly post the name of the shipping company so others can avoid it, though in this case the owner of the company has been great--he fired the driver on the spot this morning. As for specific parts, when it gets to MN I will be interested in making sure it goes to keep other Z's on the road. My biggest fear is that it would get crushed for steel when it has plenty of good parts that someone can use.

When it gets here, I'll be happy to post it as a parts car with a list of what's not broken. And yes, I'm mostly interested in selling the whole car...I'm not a mechanic, so parting it out myself is going to be tricky. The interior was in great shape...not sure what it looks like now. Apparently, the sunroof survived! But...I'll probably keep the steering wheel and hang it on my wall. It was my first Z after all!

Thanks too for all the suggestions...I'm hoping it works out and I can find another one.