IGNORED

Suggest a cheap, quiet, fuel pump for my triples.

cygnusx1

Great, here I am about to install a Holley Red for my triples this weekend. LOL

It came with my 240Z shell and the triples on my 260Z have been asking for more fuel. I've been on the fence about using the Holley or getting something else. In my research, the Carter 4070 seems to be a nice alternative, however I don't have info on noise. Since I already have the Holley I haven't pulled the trigger on another fuel pump. The RX-7 pump seems to come highly recommended by those that have used them.

Don't fret, my pump came used/free also. I think I will take it apart next chance I get, to see if it's anything obvious. Hmmmm, why are so many people giving away Holley Red fuel pumps?? :ermm: That could be a clue. :stupid:

I'll look into the Mazda pumps as well. Thanks.

I've had this problem too. The noise is due to not being able to flow enough volume, its sitting there pumping through its internal bypass. No return line I bet. Its get hot and locks up and eventually fails. I ended up going back to a stock mechanical pump with a small electric for backup/ boost when needed. I feed my 44 mikuni stroker with a stock pump...

Compare the flow rate of that pump to what you engine needs at full throttle. 50 gal/hr drains your tank in 15 min ay WOT? uh uh...

take the pump out and hook up a test system pumping water from a pail back into the pail and listen to how quiet it is and much flow that thing can move.

Edited by zKars

Don't fret, my pump came used/free also. I think I will take it apart next chance I get, to see if it's anything obvious. Hmmmm, why are so many people giving away Holley Red fuel pumps?? :ermm: That could be a clue. :stupid:

I'll look into the Mazda pumps as well. Thanks.

Everyone that's used the Holley Red says they're loud. I haven't heard the noise personally so I'm probably going to put it in and see for myself.

FWIW, any sort of factory pump is likely going to be quieter than an aftermarket one. You can also use an EFI pump and regulate it down. Just make sure you have a restriction-free return line and place the regulator after the carbs.

I use the stock supply and return lines for the 72. My engine is a stock L28 with triples. If I got 10mpg all day I still should not outflow that pump. In theory the pump could be outflowing the return line. However, I get rock steady 3psi at the carbs at idle. I think it's just a semi poorly designed pump. Last time it locked up on me while I was driving, I pulled over and beat it with a rock from the edge of the road. The pump was barely warm to the touch. Four minutes later, it worked again. :ermm:

I use the RX7 pump on both my cars. One with Mikuni tripples a Holley regulator and no return line. The other is a booster pump on a Rebello 3.0 liter with SU's and return line. I can't hear either pump over the other noises in the car and neither as ever let me down.

I ran a Red Holley until it drowned out the sound of my 3.2L exhaust. Now I run a Mallory and while expensive it handles all my triple and noise requirements.

In the race car we run twin Reds that are mounted on the side of the fuel cell upper box. Loud is not the right description but once the engine fires the twin un-muffled funnels mask any fuel pump noise.

Insulate and isolate the pump from the frame or mounting point with rubber, then box it in and put sound deadening around the box.

I ran a Red Holley until it drowned out the sound of my 3.2L exhaust. Now I run a Mallory and while expensive it handles all my triple and noise requirements.

In the race car we run twin Reds that are mounted on the side of the fuel cell upper box. Loud is not the right description but once the engine fires the twin un-muffled funnels mask any fuel pump noise.

Insulate and isolate the pump from the frame or mounting point with rubber, then box it in and put sound deadening around the box.

Do you recall which Mallory pump you used?

In my research, the Carter 4070 seems to be a nice alternative, however I don't have info on noise. Since I already have the Holley I haven't pulled the trigger on another fuel pump. The RX-7 pump seems to come highly recommended by those that have used them.

My Holley is loud on idle but after that who cares!!ROFLROFL