IGNORED

Taking Z powered Healey to it's first showing...should be interesting

Healey Z

There is a big "shine and show" up in my area (Auburn CA) tonight. There are 200+ cars that show up and is really neat. I haven't been to it all year and this is the last one of the year.

I've posted pictures of my car on a British car forum and have been scoffed at for bastardizing the car in such a way. The engine swap was done 25+ years ago by a PO, and frankly it performs better than stock, is more reliable than stock and costs a fraction of the cost to maintain.

It will be interesting to see people's reaction to the car when viewing it today. Here is the placard I made that will be sitting under the hood.

car%252520bio.jpg

Nice car! On the placard, you may want to change one word. You note that the drivetrain work was done to INCREASE reliability, performance, and the cost to maintain. I don't think you mean it increases cost to maintain. Perhaps IMPROVE would be a better word choice than INCREASE. Just a thought.

Dennis

Thanks for the replies. I laminated the sheet, so my mistake will be embedded for now :) I uploaded some recent pictures to "My Garage" I'll post a few pictures of the show after and let you know the comments I receive.

I expect some negative ones, but my skin is pretty thick. My last car I brought there was a 1966 GT350 replica. It was very, very accurate to an original Shelby. You would really need to know the marque to know that it was not an original car. Most all loved it, but still had the people that are looking to put other people's work down.

Well, I only know a little bit about British sports cars. I know that 3-main-bearing designs with thrust washers were very common, even in 6 cylinder engines. (I don't know whether Austin Healey did this.) This is a pretty scary engine configuration by itself. I would think there should be some appreciation for the sturdy L28 -- one of the finest NA, 12-valve engines by any measure.

Ordinarily I agree with people when they complain about bastardized cars with transplant drive trains. However, the horrible engineering behind the drive trains of the Triumphs I was once contemplating (Spitfire, TR-6) was enough to make me steer wide and clear of them -- and to buy a Miata instead (with 5 main bearings, thank you!).

Don't be apologetic about the L28. Hold your head high! :-)

The show was great. I spent a few hours just talking to some fantastic people. Only a few "how could you put a Datsun motor in there" comments, but no big deal. The highlight was a discussion with a man that picked up an Healey at the end of WWII, when he was stationed in Europe. He drove it around and then the Army shipped it back to the states for him.

P1050062.JPG

P1050061.JPG

Healy Z,

I agree that you should ignore those who disparage your car. While the L28 drive train may reduce it's market value, IMO, it's a definite improvement in terms of reliability and also the lack of oil leaks!

Well, I only know a little bit about British sports cars. I know that 3-main-bearing designs with thrust washers were very common, even in 6 cylinder engines. Ordinarily I agree with people when they complain about bastardized cars with transplant drive trains. However, the horrible engineering behind the drive trains of the Triumphs I was once contemplating (Spitfire, TR-6) was enough to make me steer wide and clear of them -- and to buy a Miata instead (with 5 main bearings, thank you!).

Fastlady,

Later MG's had 5 main bearing engines, which are almost "plug-n-play", reverse-compatible all the way back to 1960 MG's. Most vintage racers replace the 3 bearing engines with 5 bearing. However, for street use, the 3 bearing engines are actually quite sturdy & reliable. (Especially if you replace the felt oil seals...). That said, I agree that Miata's are bullet-proof cars with a great drive train.

The highlight was a discussion with a man that picked up an Healey at the end of WWII, when he was stationed in Europe. He drove it around and then the Army shipped it back to the states for him.

I'm wondering what model of Healey that could have been? Even the Nash Healeys were not made until the early Fifties.....

That's a long time from "....at the end of WWII" though, isn't it? Just a figure of speech, I'm sure.

I understand the scenario ( such 'souvenirs' were very common up until even quite recently ), just the time frame didn't seem to fit with the "end" of WWII. When I think of the early Fifties I think Cold War, Iron Curtain, Checkpont Charlie and all that.... No matter.