IGNORED

Halfshaft internal ball bearing hardness

I am refreshing the halfshafts from a 240z and would like to replace the 24 X 7/16" ball bearings. Would anyone know the hardness rating/grade of the originals?

btw From my web searches it seems some halfshafts and drawings show 3 of the teflon/plastic spacers in each groove and others have only 2 spacers in each groove. My 71 240z halfshafts have 3 bearings and 2 spacers in each of the 4 grooves.

Edited by Blue

I think most ball bearings and roller bearings are made from high-speed steel, or modifications thereon. My years of dealing with metals teaches me that bearing materials are within 2 +/- points of Rockwell C 63 hardness. They've gotta be tough enough to handle the shocks and hard enough to handle the friction and loads.

I used a micrometer and measured 4 ball bearings and they all were 7/16"

Here is a diagram of a halfshaft. The ball bearing is #20

I rang a bearing shop today and the only had hardness of 50 on a scale that went to 500. Did not ask the name of the scale.

7841_Half-Shaft.jpg

Blue,

I believe your micrometer, but it seems odd that these are not metric. I haven't measured mine, but will so so tomorrow. I called Courtesy Nissan a few weeks ago about these bearings, and was told that they were never sold separately, only as part of a complete half shaft assembly. A quick search for "loose automotive ball bearings" gave me http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit11932.

100 of these for $24.95 seems good, but there are no specifications about the hardness. More research required.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Philip I'm struggling with servicing my halfshafts for the 260z. My passengers side halfshaft seemed like it was seized. I pulled it apart and things didn't look too bad inside. My factory service manual shows 3 balls and 3 spacers on each shaft. I have an r180 diff though.

After reassembling the unit it is still a little stiff but it doesn't seem to have much travel. I'm wondering If I should take out one spacer for each track.

I measured the balls and I thought I got 11mm. I'll measure them again tomorrow.