IGNORED

New engine

Diseazd

Tore down the dirty old motor.....It's fun to take something so ugly and make it pretty again!

I've rebuilt my engine last year and looking at your post, it makes me feel jealous whereas I'm not yet done with break-in.

I loved working on my engine. Best moment: to start your own freshly rebuilt engine.

Everything looks great! I wish I could see and hear what a short stroke engine, high bore could do!

and Jeff, The Z (your Z) is almost too fast for open roads now and it did not rev it past 5000rpm yet! :)

Edited by Lazeum

That's right, you told me that before.......you'll love that set up Jeff....lots of low end torque! Good luck.....post pics of the mods.

Hey Guy, here are a few shots of my engine parts. I just got it back from the machine shop and so far, I have just scrubbed and painted the block and oil pan. Everything measured well within spec, so I'm using standard rings and bearings. I'll start assembling it in a few days after I pull my old motor and remove the Web Racing cam and associated hardware. I hope to get it finished up and ready to drop in next weekend. :cool:

IMG_4866_zpsd040e235.jpg

IMG_4839_zps65e6d6b0.jpg

IMG_4838_zpse193476d.jpg

I did have a duh! moment. The donor engine is an '82 F54 and when my teammate cleaned up the oil pan, he found a whole row of rust holes about 1/2" down from the top. I happen to have an old worn out '75 L28 in the corner of my garage, so we hoisted it up and removed the oil pan. We went to throw the rusted pan back on the '75 engine when we realized the sump isn't in the same spot. We simply grabbed the pick-up tube from the '75 and finished the swap. Had it not been for the rust holes in the ZX pan, I would have cleaned and painted the ZX pan, assembled the engine, and then figured out that it wouldn't fit as I was trying to drop it onto the crossmember. I saved myself a ton of time and aggravation because of the rust holes. It's the only time ever that I've been happy to find rot on a Z!! LOL

I've never owned an S130 engine or car, so I had no idea they moved the sump. I learned something new about Z cars!

Edited by Jeff G 78

Hey Steve, Guy and I were chatting about it and as far as we can tell, they don't pose a problem on an S30 since there isn't anything keeping the pan sump from moving rearward.. The S30 pan would likely not work on a S130 though.

Steve.....I asked the same question. I've built 3 F54 blocked ZX motors to date. The oil pick up and oil pans have all been interchangeable between the 240Z engines and F54 engines. It was news to me that the oil pick up and oil pan on Jeff's engine was different between his 75 L28 and the 82 F54 ZX motor. Anyone else ever run into this?

I was in a hurry to get the parts motor off the hoist and back into the corner of the garage. Otherwise I would have taken pics of both pans. What I will do tonight is take picks of both oil pick-up tubes side by side to get an idea of the sump offset. Since the ZX pan was full of holes, I wrote "BAD" on it with a paint pen and bolted it back on the engine with 4 bolts and no pick-up tube.