IGNORED

Put Your Thinking Caps On

:finger:Pulled the tank on our 260Z in 3 hours it was not very dirty inside which is good. The sending unit also was good and since I drained 5 gallons it was right on reading a quarter tank. But this makes no sense inside rattling around was a coil spring 4 inches long and about a inch and a quarter diamenter clean as a pin.........What is it for and do I need it? I will put 3 gallons of white vinegar inside and caps all the lines into the vents etc. The new Holley pump should fix the issues because I suspect that the old pump was spitting and did not get it up to the front pump. Do I need that spring or maybe it has been in there for decades?

So maybe the spring was a gift from a prduction line worker at the plant. I have the round top Su's but the fuel pump on the front from O Rileys seems lame. Why not put the Holley and plate off the front? I'll get new lines and a filler neck hose from a boat repair facility. The 7 psi pump should feed the carbs. I will vent the tank by drilling a small hole in the cap. We will post some before and after shots on Photobucket

That spring sounds like one of those they used to sell 'back in the day' to prevent gas siphoning. They were supposed to wedge in the filler neck but maybe that one was too small and it slipped through. Did one end of it taper so that a hose wouldn't go through it?

The spring is off of a fuel pump nozzle, from a gas station, I found one in an old 69 Nova. the pre unleaded cars could get the spring past the filler neck rim unlike the new ones.

Ill buy that explanation, now we just need to figure out witch gas station

That makes sense because it has no taiper but I will get a new mechanical pump that should work from a 240z. They all bolt on the same and have equal length arms and surely are better quality than elgippo local parts. Next job is pulling the driveline and trans. Rear main seal and clutch and new U joints. We had a local shop spentd 9 hours doing a rear pinion and mount. The filler plug was not about to come out easily but they got it done. These 2+2 models are a pain for parts.

So which is best for the stock domed SU's a Holley electric pump that puts out a max 7 constant that

is designed for carbed cars or a HD mechanical in

the front only? I vote mechanical once the tank is

spotless and all the lines are opened.

• 2 weeks later...

Reinstalled the tank using thick rubber filler hose and capped all the other tubes it is vented by a hole in the gas cap. Looks like the fuel is being drawn up to the pump and to both carbs. I now have a very loud screech in the cam near 4 and 5. Since machining the head I may have valves that are tight and that would explain a slightly jumpy vac gauge with 18 inches. No fuel leaks so I can put the inside trim panels back and carpet and look at the valve adjustment. Almost ready for sanding and primer.