IGNORED

The Z Store

tymarbry

I think we've probably reached the point where we're beating a dead horse. It's difficult to compare prices at MSA with BD or anyone else without taking into consideration a plethora of issues not related directly to the actual vendor's cost of the parts. Obviously, the parts don't jump into the shipping boxes all by themselves and there's a good chance that labor costs in Southern California are a little higher than in Lenexa, Kansas - the same for rent, utilities, and everything else that goes into running a business.

I think the only thing we're going to agree on is that a Z can become a hole in the driveway into which we pour money. Some holes are deeper than others and each owner needs to know when, and how, to move on to a more shallow hole - or where to look for cheaper fill.

Dennis

Not to continue the MSA leg-humping, but one thing I like about those folks is that a real human looks at the order and checks to make sure it's correct.

I ordered some bumper rubber for a 72 bumper because that's what I have on my '73, which is the model year on record for my car with them. An MSA rep called me to ask if I knew that 72 rubber wouldn't fit on a 73 bumper, and if I was sure I needed that part?

Most online businesses would simply process the order, ship it out, and take the money without going to the trouble of making certain the customer knew what he was doing. I appreciate MSA taking the time and the expense of looking after their customers.

• 1 month later...

Ok now Im pretty pissed.

I bought some mirrors off of MSA for $34 or something, shipped.

got them today just to realize that they are generic brand mirrors that go for about half the price I bought them for.

MSA: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/EM/50-1153

AMAZON: http://www.amazon.com/Source-1600B-Sport-Mirror-Universal/dp/B001A0IRG8

I think in short its safe to say "**** MSA".

Damn dude. What were you expecting, you got two $15.00 mirrors shipped to your door for $35 bucks. If you were expecting to see fixed metal housings with real glass mirrors on gimbles you need to throw in at LEAST another hundred in the ring. Don't price compare Super Kmart blue light specials and then bitch when you get blue light special parts. In other words, it is your responsability to know what you are buying. Paintable = Plastic. Needs Holes to be drilled = generic. 240Z parts on Amazon = you will likely be disapointed.

The VW Beetle seems to be a much cheaper car to buy parts for. If you want a Z then it's going to cost ya. The same as if ya want a TR6 or a Lotus Elite, or an XKE. Very few shops will carry this stuff because the market is very small. You should be thanking MSA for being the shop that they are and supply that they have. Otherwise go buy a Beetle.

Just to defend Tym a little, I've been looking at MSA for a while and they sure do have some cool stuff, but for instance, their K&N air filter for my 77 280z costs 54$, the first generic auto parts site I checked has it for 23$. That's less then HALF, for an air filter? I mean it's the EXACT same filter too not higher quality. I'm sure they have great service and are great people but you have to agree that some of their pricing is outrageous.

Anyhow I guess it's all what you want.

I can't believe I just wasted 15 minutes on reading this nonsense. Come on people - don't wine because you don't have enough common sense to price shop if you need to save every penny you have.............MSA has sourced more items than I could have possibly found for my car and their knowledge on their parts back up their price to most of us........please.......shop somewhere else so we do not have to listen to this needless bashing.

Many Z owners are just plain cheap, 510 guys used be the cheapsters but they have been replaced by Z owners. Everytime I sell one of my NOS rare parts they get sold overseas because guys here are just cheap. I appreciate what Greg and the boys at MSA are trying to do. They source their parts from amny sources and are trying to survive in a tough economic time. I pray they can stay in business. If yoy need 240 parts Les at Classic Datsun is a source too.

I don't want to generalize, but "we" need to learn that "we" can't expect $100/hr salary to make a burger, then go out to eat expecting a $1 burger on the menu. Then we should not be surprised when we find that the $2 burger on the menu was outsourced, and that your position making burgers has been eliminated.

Edited by cygnusx1

I have those mirrors on my 78.

Got them at the corner auto store 28 bucks.

Chose them because good look alike and only 28 dollars.

They don't move around and i havent heard a whistle.

I bought a cheap one for my 90 f150 it whistles all the time.

eyes_015.gif

I will restate the obvious, you get what you pay for. First NOS parts are limited and it is only fair that they are priced accordingly. Secondly good reproduction parts are worth their weight due to the fact they are being produced for a very limited market. JLP