IGNORED

The Z Store

tymarbry

Is it just me, or is this place a rip off?

Stuff is overpriced in my opinion. I dont know of the quality because I could never fathom spending the amount they request for any of these items.

I just want to know what the community thinks so maybe things will change.

You know your 2 cents counts as a total to something in the end.

The Z Store or MSA has been around for a very long time providing a parts source that others haven't even come close to. The old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Buy it used and maybe it will work or buy it new and know it will work. I've bought numerous pieces and I have never been disappointed with the quality or performance.

My personal opinion is they have done a great job keeping this passion of ours alive with their parts sourcing, reproduction items and hard to find items.

Chris

You are in the KC area, so I might suggest you visit Black Dragon Automotive in Lenexa, or online, www.BlackDragonAuto.com, they still have a paper catalog upon request 1-800-789-DRGN. You will save shipping costs if you go there. Then there is genuine Nissan parts from Courtesy.

Maintaining, customizing upgrading,,,etc... is not cheap on ANY car. (unless you want it that way) :)

Bonzi Lon

Joker72z - very well said!

Tymarbry - Life is full of choices for all of us!

Spend the time to do your own research - make buddies with your local Nissan Dealer Parts Manager - let him know what you are working on - you know the last time they saw a Datsun 240 at their dealership - give him the Nissan part number you need -

Benefits

Original Nissan part (when still available)

No shipping charge (or at least for me)

Two day turn around if ordered before noon (in my area)

Maybe a discount if you ask for one - my Parts Manager gives me their body shop rate - 20% discount

I have ordered a variety of parts on multiple occasions over the past five years and while I might be able to get parts cheaper elsewhere, the effort and risk involved with sourcing and dealing with others has left me thinking that MSA is likely to be my first port of call for parts that I cannot easily source in Australia.

I get a 10% discount, receive news on monthly specials, have always appreciated the service provided by the sales staff, and always think I get a pretty good deal.

The term "rip off" is a very strong descriptor that I would most definitely NOT apply to MSA. The amusing thing that I see on ebay is listings of items at higher prices than I see for the same products available from MSA and the shipping prices associated with some of those listings have been the subject of discussion on this site. At least MSA prepare a final amount with a firm shipping quote for your consideration before the order is confirmed.

Finally, I see MSA actively supporting the Z community at formal gatherings and events. They get my support for that alone when other considerations are roughly equal.

Tymarbry

I have to ditto the sentiments of others here. MSA in addition provides technical support. Other companies that retail parts for our vehicles as well may provide a somewhat similar service but the edge that MSA has is that they are almost exclusive to Z owners of all years. It is up to all of us to shop aronud for he best price. We are not forced to buy from them exclusively. I have a list of over 50 parts suppliers saved to my favorites and at some point or another during my rebuild on Projrct 3/72 I may in fact use them all.

Stuff is overpriced in my opinion. I dont know of the quality because I could never fathom spending the amount they request for any of these items.

Allow me to add another vote for MSA/Z Store. I buy items from them every few months and have for years. I've never been disappointed or felt overcharged.

Are some of their products expensive? Yes. But, that tends to be the nature of the product, not the vendor. I feel that they offer quality parts at competitive prices.

If you "can't fathom spending the amount they request" and feel their "stuff is overpriced", the solution is simple - buy elsewhere. It's a BIG world. Unfortunately, restoring or maintaining a 40 year old car is, often, not for the faint of wallet. :)

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

Well I do suppose "Rip Off" is a bit harsh but still I feel that prices could be fairer.

I spent quite a bit of time last night going through different websites and I like Z source alot. They have new and used items availible.

But if Nissan really does make parts for 240-280z cars then I may go there first cause dealer stuff cannot be beat.

I remember for my 86 corolla, alot of parts were discontinued which is a shame. But while the parts were still availible, you could give them JDM Trueno part number and they could give you japanese parts cheap.

Im not sure If you can do that through Nissan or not, but I think its worth trying once I find a japanese part I want.

Edited by tymarbry

Want better prices? That's easy. Contact all of the auto parts suppliers you can find. Be prepared to make a few trips to Japan and China. Buy hundreds, if not thousands, and sell what you don't need.

Sarcastic? Okay, I'll cop to that, if you want to admit you are coming off as pretty ignorant. If you want better prices, shop around. Just be prepared to find that the cheaper parts are sometimes exponentially cheaper in quality. Maybe you'll get some bargains in there, too.

Yeah, MSA isn't always the cheapest. Some parts are still available at the dealerships for less. My links have a good start for your pricing research. Be prepared for many parts to come back NLA.

I echo others sentiments. MSA for me. I have imported from them on a number of occasions, and found the service second to none. Four days to to my door in NZ. We can't get local deliveries any faster.I own what I consider a rare car (72 240) and don' mind paying a bit extra to be able to source parts for it.

Brian