IGNORED

LHD 240Z in 1969 TOKYO auto show

kats

In Australia a Mitsubishi Colt was a small 4 door front wheel drive hatchback. (known as a mirage in other countries I believe)

The Mitsubishi Starion was a 2 door rwd turbo sports car.

They also made a Cordia which was a 2 door front wheel drive in turbo and non turbo.

Why the hell are we talking about Bitzashitties?

• 2 years later...

Kats, I don't know if you ever got your answers cause I got tired of reading through all these long-winded replies that didn't address your questions, sorry. I see lots of replies that don't even address Kats when he asks a question.

So let me try to answer you. I was 11 when my father purchased his new 1971 Datsun 510. Of course I had never heard of Datsun, it probably had no affect on me at that age. But I'll say this, my father is a German immigrant to the US. He went down to the Volkswagen dealer and looked at their cars first. Get the picture? But he said they were overpriced and arrogant. He later went to a Datsun dealer and paid $1995 for a 510 4-dr sedan plus $495 for the air conditioning. He loved that car and so did I. We went on many long trips in it. He could tell right away that it had some features similar to the BMW 1600. It was easy to work on and great quality. He always praised that car. I got to have it later in college (1977) and made some improvements on the interior. It only had one rust spot on it when ....well when I totalled it in an accident. Anyway, I was very disappointed when Nissan decided to get rid of Datsun. That was long before I knew about Mr K or owned my Z. I believed a lot of the myths you've dispelled here. I also have a degree in management and know exactly who to blame for a lot of Nissan's problems. Some morons :finger: at the top made some very fundamentally stupid decisions. And it wouldn't surprise me if the Nissan president did let his emotions get the best of him because of his hatred of Mr. K. They let the Z grow, until many could not afford it. Also if I remember correctly, at the same time that Nissan got rid of Datsun is when they had many of their biggest quality issues. Someone mentioned some of the uglier Datsuns, and forgot the F-10. LOL Anyway, maybe the Z was a combination of Mr K and low cost choices, but something magical arose from it anyhow. I don't have a problem with the ergonomics of my Z. I have tons of leg room, something I can't say about the 350Z. You tell your Japanese friends that Datsun helped dispell the notion that things from Japan were cheap and low quality. That was the opinion in those days, but the Datsun car proved their quality was as good as it is today. My 510 was a tough, reliable car. I hadn't started my Z for over a year, and then it started up in 5 minutes. Talk about reliability. I hope that helps you get some of the insight you were looking for.

By the way, your english is awesome and don't you ever forget it. I speak Japanese as well as my dog, so don't you ever apologize for your English. Don't ever leave, I've been hoping for someone like you for years. We've needed someone on the other side of the water to help us understand the real story. Carl Beck has down about as good a job as any from here could.

I forgot to mention Nismo. They appear to me to be just a bunch of 350Z people. That show that was mentioned where Mr Matsuo was not recognized and was not treated as a VIP. I'd like to know who was running that show. Can someone find out? If what was reported is true, that individual should be told to stay home for the next Z Convention. Hopefully it's no one we know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for your inputs,they are very impressive and interesting.What I am trying to say is,I am very happy when I hear someone is telling their love of japanese made car "DATSUN".Not TOYOTA or other japanese brands,because I LOVE my datsun 240Z so much.I love to drive/take care/look at/fix a little bit/ my 240Z very much.Also I love to collect evry related early(1969/1970) 240Z's brochures and manuals.I love to see many many Zs in various countries.Also I am very happy I can talk here all of you Z enthusiasts.

Can you imagine how happy and honor I am to knowing so many people love their japanese made car outside of japan?I simpley thank for I am japanese.I am not Mr.K nor Mr.Matsuo,I did not make Zs,but I feel this.You can tell it do not you?

I know there is a very hot thread about 1969 fairlady-Z in this club,I am trying to read and understand what is going on,it is a difficult for me but good english training for me.That thread and here my starting thread have some relationship I think.I feel it is hard to force to change one's opinion.Only I can do is say opinion,hear opinion,then choose waht I agree with.

I had(have)tried to change japanese people's and magazine's point of view.As I said in the begining,japanese people do not look at DATSUN 240Z.They are always interested in fairlady-Z432,ZG etc.

I can say nowadays situation has been changing little bit, I feel it when I talk with many fairlady owners at the meetings and website.Even when I drove my Z around my home,an old gentleman waved his hand and said"I saw the TV program,well sold in the U.S.,yours LHD,cool!"

But like used to,magazines are always reporting Z432 and 240ZG mainly.

I love to see these japanese Zs and I love to meet and spend wonderfull time with these Zs owners,it is my treasure.This is true.I always dream if I can own fairlady-Z432 or 240ZG with my best DATSUN 240Z simultainiously,that will be great.But I can not let the magazines keep reporting same thing,they should know what DATSUN 240Z is,and they should know what is going on outside of japan now?

I want to say this for japanese people.Not LHD or RHD.

DATSUN is there.Thinking about S30,NOT to see only japanese S30/fairlady-Z.

I would like to say this to japanese people;

Look at this web club,we(japanese people) should thank for this situation do not we?I mean still so many people loving thier Zs even 36 years since the Z rolled out.And not only this club,there are many many Z clubs and Z web clubs.

And,And, what a surprising thing,they discuss and report about Z so hot and so enthusiastic and so many topics they have got.For example,they talk about 1969 fairlady selling in the U.S. Have you ever imagined the western people talk about fairlady-Z like this?They are very very serious,the way of talking and thinking is much passionable and deep than like we do.Their knowledge is greater than we,even about fairlady-Z,they know very well.

(Alan,you are very famous in japanese Z owners.We all are surprised why you know about S30 so much.It is surprising you are not japanese!!)

We are proud of being japanese.Then we must respect these people do not we?;;

I say again,it is difficult to change the situation.I did request many magazine office to pick up about DATSUN 240Z more,but only few books took it.Also so many times I claimed not to exprain about japanese fairlady only,but they did not hear me.Only two magazines picked my article about DATSUN 240Z up in the magazine,the one gave me 10 full color pages.I really appriciated it.

But still feeling difficulty,I have stopped to claiming to japanese magazines.I am recovering to spend time for my Z,but it is not like used to,I am not so free to do that.

Japanese people doing simuler things(restoring,racing,touring etc)but I think it is surprising these activities(like this club) are conducting out side of japan!

Some of you may say especialy in the U.S.,it is not so special because so many Zs were sold in the U.S.

Yes,that is right.But I want to say,for me it is wonderful thing to know so many people outside of japan love Zs so much.And I want to share my feelings with rest of japanese people.I am sure when japanese people know these situation,they will be surprise so much.

Especialy talikng about ORIGINALITY and EARLY STORY,these are not so hot in japan.This is my opinion,there are many clubs and many websites and many clubs in japan,but I do not think there are so many people are seriously interested in and doing restoration and talking about WHAT IS ORIGINAL and WHAT IS EARLY PARTS like many of you here do.

I started this thread almost 2 and a half years ago,this time I red my post again,I found something is changing in my mind but something remain the same.And even completely new understandings is coming up in my mind.

Looking back these days since I started this thread,I had some important experiences which make me involve more deeply in my hobby 240Z,so My wife and kids sometimes complaining about my playing my 240Z.

Also these experiences opend my eyes widely.

These experiences are,

First of all,thank you for Mr.Matsuo.I talked with him and visited his office many times,he kindly let me ask about Z's question and let me look at many many slides which he did take photos of Z S30.Mr.Matsuo still keeps tools which exactly he used when making cray models,they are just fantastic to look at.Even he gave me stock parts from his home,hubcaps and over riders and emblem and a watch which inspired him to design S30's stop clock,etc etc.

I saw his hootage of styling/designing S30,I say S30 is his design.Not other man's work.There were many 2 seater with fast back style before the Z was born.If some one who designed 2 seater fastback could say S30 was oriented one's concept,there could have been so many people regarding as a S30's designer.I think it does not make sence.

I think Mr.Matsuo did not find 2 seater style ahead anyone else in the world,but he actualy did so many works and efforts to design S30.

There was a NISSAN 550X,some people may say it was a base of S30,I do not agree with that.550X was a 2 seater,fast back yes.But the man who designed 550X had never touched S30 prototypes nor advised.Because Mr.Matsuo said the man was left nissan already when Mr.Matsuo had began to study next generation sports car which went into the Z.

kats

Everyone in the US, Bryan? Big call!

Thankyou Kats for sharing your thoughts about the Japanese Z fans! We do not get to hear very much from them as there are not many Japanese members on the board. I am very proud that you post here though :classic:, and of course, I agree with you on all points.

Like Ben said, it is very interesting to see what actually goes on in Japan. It also answers what I was asking in the other "1969" thread about what Japanese publishers publish - it is mostly about the Japanese models.

Everyone in the US, Bryan? Big call!

Thankyou Kats for sharing your thoughts about the Japanese Z fans! We do not get to hear very much from them as there are not many Japanese members on the board. I am very proud that you post here though :classic:, and of course, I agree with you on all points.

Like Ben said, it is very interesting to see what actually goes on in Japan. It also answers what I was asking in the other "1969" thread about what Japanese publishers publish - it is mostly about the Japanese models.

Well excuse me Alfadog. :tapemouth Kats, every Z owner in the US except Alfadog. LOL

Kats,

You are a wonderous and valuable enthusiast, posts from you have answered questions I did not know to ask. I poked fun at the sticker you used to cover a hole, but as with the rest of your work, I admire the result, and the road you have chosen to get there.

It is my belief that SportZ magazine should cover the work done by several members here to their own cars, and you are at the top of that list. While I do not take the pains you do to have your Z so correct, I do admire and stand in awe of the accomplishments you have made on that task.

Thank you for your many and enthusiastic contributions to this club and to the Z hobby.

Will