IGNORED

Powdercoat or Paint it Black?

Rich1

The only issue with the POR15 would be that it's weakened by UV rays. Says righ ton the can. Top coat it, use it in areas not exposed to UV rays (Sun)

If your suspension parts are frequently exposed to direct sunlight you may be driving too fast... LOL

Power coating is a baked on type of paint. While it is much harder than normal paint, it is still essentially paint.

Oh, and all cars are painted with an electrostatic process, at least in the factory. It reduces the amount of paint consumed by 90%.

(I used to work for a subsidiary of Ransburg Corporation, who invented the process around 1940.)

I agree--Lee your POR-ed suspension does look good. I had not considered this option.

I'm glad you chimed in, Guy. What did you use on the stunning suspension pieces in your Z gallery?

Thanks to everyone for their feeback/suggestions!

Edited by Rich1

When the POR is just about set (they refer to it as finger drag sticky) you can give it a shot of paint that will adhere firmly to the POR.

Alternatively, wait till it sets then use one of their primers. Tie-Coat allows build-up and sanding, Self-Etching doesn't build but does etch into the POR. Both will etch into cured POR so having to scuff/sand the POR isn't necessary. Depending on what you want as your final surface finish to be, you have options.

FWIW

E

Rich.....We blasted to metal, acid etch primer, then my son Brandon sprayed my suspension with urethene. I wouldn't hesitate to acid etch prime then spray with multi light layers of Krylon, Dupli-color or some other high quality spray can paint. That stuff is real quality.....my air cleaner came out beautiful and super durable too! Guy

Edited by Diseazd

I painted my suspension and underside with POR-15, gloss black. Dried smooth and hard as a rock. Very durable and looks great.

I powdercoated my bumpers, grill and rear trim panel in a sand-finish satin black. Extremely durable, low maintenance and looks terrific.

IMO, no need to spend the extra money to powdercoat your suspension unless you are one of those guys who likes to display your car with mirrors. ;)

Powdercoat comes in significantly more colors than POR-15. POR-15 has a very specific preparation process that if not adhered to strictly will result in, as Z-train stated, the POR peeling up like a sunburn. POR-15 is a great product and I used it in my wheel wells and tranny tunnel. I coated it with their chassis coat; you thought POR-15 was tough, try their chassis coat.

However, my suspension parts are painted. I did not have the time or money to powdercoat them at the time so I painted them. All of my engine components are powdercoated however, and if I were to redo my suspension they would be powdercoated.

• 3 months later...