IGNORED

Erratic volt gauge

Pomorza

How stock do you want to be? Search here, Hybridz and Zcar.com for alternator upgrades. I think ZmanofWashington has a kit for a higher output alternator. It will be internally regulated, so you'd have to jumper out the regulator circuit. You can see how to do that for a 280Z in Blue's collection of tips. (See link below.)

Hi guys hope i'm not thread jacking here but this may be similar. My 77 280 has sat for four months. Battery is now dead and volt gauge reads 12 volts or in the yellow and car won't start. But when i pump the brakes the volt guage drops all the way to 0. Is that a problem or normal? Never seen that happen when driving it.

Edited by WingZr0

How stock do you want to be? Search here, Hybridz and Zcar.com for alternator upgrades. I think ZmanofWashington has a kit for a higher output alternator. It will be internally regulated, so you'd have to jumper out the regulator circuit. You can see how to do that for a 280Z in Blue's collection of tips. (See link below.)

To be honest whichever. Keeping the regulator is fine, not having one is fine. At this point I wish to get the car working to a point where I'm not afraid to drive it without the light on.

Jan

Hi guys hope i'm not thread jacking here but this may be similar. My 77 280 has sat for four months. Battery is now dead and volt gauge reads 12 volts or in the yellow and car won't start. But when i pump the brakes the volt guage drops all the way to 0. Is that a problem or normal? Never seen that happen when driving it.

You may need a new battery. Take it to a parts store and have them test it.

You may need a new battery. Take it to a parts store and have them test it.

Went to the parts store earlier today. Batter test 100% good. I asked them test my alternator (with the car on) and their testing devise stated that I have low output. So I'm guessing a new alternator/regulator are in order huh?

Jan

My battery terminals got dirty and my car did the same thing when starting. Voltmeter dropped to zero, then went back up when I let go of the key. It's typically the terminal connections or a bad battery. I cleaned the terminals and it's back to normal.

My battery terminals got dirty and my car did the same thing when starting. Voltmeter dropped to zero, then went back up when I let go of the key. It's typically the terminal connections or a bad battery. I cleaned the terminals and it's back to normal.

Battery terminals are clean and shinny.

Jan