IGNORED

Question on this car

oskidunker1

Ok, so the car was listed on an eBay classified ad for $11,500 the first time it was on eBay with this seller. The second time it was an auction bid up to $9,600, which shows as sold. In the current listing, he says it is relisted due to a non-paying bidder, however he has not left negative feedback for said non-paying bidder. Sometimes, this can mean that the seller used a second account, or had a buddy, bid up the auction and ended up winning it by mistake. Not sure if it applies here, could just be that the seller is afraid to leave a negative as he doesn't want a negative from the non-paying bidder. However I would be more cautious trying to purchase this car via eBay.

If you can go look at it, and bring cash or a cashiers check, it might be worth checking out.

Edited by DougN

Hi

First I agree with everyone that the car has to be physically inspected - and very closely at that.

Looking at the pictures - I would have serious doubts about the quality of the paint and body work done -especially when you see the the lower fender bubbling up already. That is something you simply have to go look at in person. If the car really needs to have it's paint and body work redone to bring it up to reasonable standards for a Classic Car... then the value of the car is cut at least in half.

For the sake of discussion - lets say that the paint and body work were actually first class - then in that case, looking at all the other work that has been done -- if the car drove out well - - around here it would be an easy $10K to $12K as it sits.

On the other hand - if you have to take it all apart again to have the paint and body redone properly - or if you just looking for a Z to drive and enjoy that is simply "presentable".. then around here it is a $6K to $8K example. In California - ???? High unemployment rates, bleak outlook.. you might well find far better for the same money. Although I agree that it looks like a pretty nice Z.

You don't have to take cash - if the man will accept a wire transfer just do that. All you have to do is talk to an officer or the head teller at your bank before you leave. Tell them what your seller is requiring and ask if you can call them directly, after you have inspected the car and after you have decided to buy it. They will be more than willing to work with you - if they aren't - - take you money somewhere else.

Once you get there and decide to buy the car - you go with the seller to his bank, get his bank's routing number and his account number - then call your banker, provide the information and ask them to wire the money at that point. Usually it takes no more than a hour or two... There is nothing hard nor complicated about it.

Make sure you get a Bill Of Sale marked as Paid In Full - signed by the seller, in addition to the title. As you will not have a document of payment like you would with a check. The bill of sale should contain the VIN, the color and mileage of the car.. or a statement that the mileage is unknown.

FWIW,

Carl B.

As if often the case with cars of this type and this condition the seller realizes it will probably only appeal to someone that doesn't want to spend countless hours and $$$ on a full blown restoration. So having said that decide how much you will spend, go take a look at the car, make the guy an offer. No one ever has a problem with cash so if it were me I would have it in hand. If this is what YOU want then no price speculated on in this forum will change your mind. Any car like this will not come flawless if it were the person would not sell it as it would have taken a substantial amount og time and $$$$ to get it flawless. You only live once, why not live with a 240Z

I purchased my last Z off of Craigslist. The three before that I bought off Ebay.

Go look at the car. It looks like a nice driver. You can research the value on line from a variety of resources.

Around here a 240z in the condition it appears to be in would go for between $8K to $10K.

I have no fear of buying a car from a on line site but before the cash trades hands I WILL look it over in person and I will already know the most common defects to look for.

If you want the car, I hope it's as nice as it looks and you get it.

I'm thinking about buying another 300zx.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1852487971.html

Edited by ensapp
spelling