IGNORED

Question on this car

oskidunker1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220638771421&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123

The car is about 60 miles from where I live.I bid on it but was out bid.Any idea what this might go for? Is this a car you guys would reccommend?

Also he is requiring a wire transfer as the only method of payment. I feel a bit uneasy about this.Has anyone done this and what are the risks> i.e you wire the money and then go to pick up the car and it is not there.

Edited by oskidunker1

I think this car will go for 7k (at least). That is a really nice car. Is there rust or, just chip on bottom of FR quarter panel?

I am sure you could arrange another form of payment (cash?) since you are within a short driving distance.

Patience grasshopper! 60 miles away, I would be on my way to inspect that car. I am a little suspect on the car - the rot or ? on the front fender, sloppy mask job on the vin plate. If you win the car, go with cash or bank check(better if seller accepts that). I cant see any reason for wiring a payment on a car so close!

Edit: I missed where the seller stated that the paint was done awhile ago and that there was some rust spots poking through. Seems like an honest dude. Contact him and see what he has to say. That is a very nice car from what I can see!

Edited by oldhemi

I think this car will go for 7k (at least). That is a really nice car. Is there rust or, just chip on bottom of FR quarter panel?

I am sure you could arrange another form of payment (cash?) since you are within a short driving distance.

Think that might be optimistic...if restored less than 7k miles ago, how do you get rust that quickly on the fender...

Wire transfers are just another form of "Irrevocable" payments. i.e. you literally deposit money into their account.

The pictures show a bit of photo manipulation. Pixelation of the colors may be due to a cheap camera, or low resolution, but may be due to enlarging a small, low grade photo with a program that can't handle colors well.

The rust on the lower fender is due to the cowl drain going to that area. The drain tube should be extended OUT of the car. Repairing that will probably involve some metal cutting and some filler, which means the fender will have to be repainted.

The current dash in the car IS the one with the dash cap. The one in the box appears original, but hard to say from the angle of the picture.

The data plate in the engine compartment is missing.

Looks like they addressed a LOT of things, and it looks very promising from the photos given. Won't go into price, as I'm not looking to buy or kibbits it's value.

I agree that you should arrange a good look/see. It might be a slightly flawed (fender, dash, other items) gem in the rough, or a true Cinderella story.

2¢

E

Come on now, its only 60 miles away. Take a few hours out of your day, go look it over and decide for yourself what the true condition of the car is. We certainly can't make a determination with any degree of certainty by looking at pictures on a monitor. Some people have a knack for making cars appear better in a photo than they actually are. Forget about wire transfers, that's not an issue if you do buy and pick the car up in person.

Edited by geezer

From someone who bought a car he found on ebay after it didn't sell take a look. If I bid what I thought it was worth I would have been taken. I talked the price down $3000 and got what I felt was a fair price. Go look at the car figure a good price and place a bid. More than likely you will get it, ask the sell if you can pick it up within 5 days with money in hand. I'd use travelers checks if you can they have guaranteed funds, that he can cash at any bank, and they are not reimbursable without signing them over, a lot safer than cash. Money orders are no safer than cash. So if he states money order or cash only just pay cash and watch your back.

E, the R/F strut data plate is there. I got deceived the same way; the earlier photo just didn't go far enough down. One of

the last photos spefically showed that plate, and one or two

photos later we saw it was numbers matching by a photo of the

engine casting showing L24-085210.

All in all it looks like a nice, legitimate car. The owner didn't

seem to be hiding anything, and I see a stack of receipts to

verify what work had been done. If the car were not 3000 miles

away, I might take a look at it myself.

Edited by Kathy & Rick