IGNORED

My car is finally home!

cbudvet

Well it was only 1 1/2 years waiting but my car is finally home. It was delivered last Friday night. I am so happy to actually start working on rebuilding it not just taking it apart. I put the marker lights and the brake/rear lights in this weekend. Also the stainless drip rail above the doors. I have been putting fat mat in today and am about halfway done with that. I am pretty darn happy to have the car home but there are a few things that need to be sorted out. The body shop guy welded over the holes for the c pillar 240z emblem and the holes for the hatch emblems. I went to put them on and stood there looking around trying to find the holes. I will figure out someway to put the c pillar ones on but I am not sure about the hatch ones. Time will tell. I replaced the bent and rusted bumpers with fiberglass ones for the time being. I think it makes the front and rear ends look dark/plain. At some point in the future when I can afford it, I will either have the old ones fixed or buy the stainless steel ones. I think shiny bumpers would really dress it up. Also, I would like to put Rota RBs or Panasports on it as well. I will post more pics as I make progress.

carl

post-11951-14150811145188_thumb.jpg

post-11951-1415081114554_thumb.jpg

post-11951-14150811145801_thumb.jpg

The body shop guy welded over the holes for the c pillar 240z emblem and the holes for the hatch emblems. I went to put them on and stood there looking around trying to find the holes. I will figure out someway to put the c pillar ones on but I am not sure about the hatch ones.
If you didn't ask for those holes to be filled, I'd ask the shop for assistance in re-creating them. You should not have to risk damaging the new paint to undo something the shop did that they weren't supposed to do.

I'm certain that between all the 240Zs on this site, we can find someone whose emblems are not installed so we can make templates for you.

I agree that the shop should do the fix for you since you didn't request that they fill them. On the other hand, putting the emblems on is as simple as finding the right location and using double sided 3M foam tape. That is what holds on most of the emblems on cars these days and is very resiliant. It is thin enough not to be seen. This would give you the option of removing them later, or doing a custom mounting location for the hatch emblem. Just a thought.

I would be weary of drilling holes since that will break the paint seal, and could potentially lead to rust if not properly sealed back up when the emblems are installed.

First, the new paint looks great Carl! Love the color too!:love: I can provide you with the sail panel emblem templates. I still have a set I made up for another member who never got back to me, to tell me where to send them. If you want them, I'll repeat the offer, just PM me with a mailing address. Another thing to consider is the nature of a mig welded hole. I can tell you from experience that the mig welded metal deposits are much harder than the surrounding metal. Also, may not be perfectly flat on the backside, causing increased difficulty in drilling and the possibility of breaking a bit, damaging the paint. Just something else to consider for whoever is going to drill the holes. Hard to access from the backside too. We discussed this same issue in this thread.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33399&highlight=quarter+panel+emblem+holes

Thanks Ron,

PM sent. I may resort to using the 3M tape to avoid drilling into the lovely paint and as pointed out, the welds could cause trouble. Thanks for everyones help and advice.

carl

Thanks Ron,

PM sent. I may resort to using the 3M tape to avoid drilling into the lovely paint and as pointed out, the welds could cause trouble. Thanks for everyones help and advice.

carl

The other problem, even if the welds are successfully drilled out in the proper location there possibly is going to be an excess weld build-up on the backside still. It wouldn't have been ground flush because of the difficulty of reaching this area. Because of this weld build-up on the back of the panel the emblem clips may not fasten as designed and you will risk having them fall off. I agree, it may be best to use the 3M tape.

The templates are on the way. Good luck with the reassembly!

Thanks Geezer! I'm a bit bummed because I ordered a new headliner and door panel skins and they sent black not butterscotch! Dang, now I have to try and send them back and get replacements.

carl

Chris, its just awful isn't it? :) I ordered the headliner kit and door panels from Too Intense Restoration but have had trouble with lack of communication. They sent the black color so now I have to try and get in touch to send them back for the correct color. I also got the wrong color boomerang pieces behind the door from MSA. I know I ordered the right color with the headliner, not so sure if I messed up with MSA. I can't remember where I got the plastic panels from. I will have to repaint them because the color isn't a match for the butterscotch. They are more tan than butterscotch. I just saw that Banzai Motorworks has door panels, headliners etc in butterscotch but they are really pricey. Almost twice as much.

carl