IGNORED

Removing Headliner residue

Marty Rogan

Hi Guys,

When I got my latest Z, the PO had removed the headliner and left a lot of glue and foam residue on the roof. What's the best way to remove it easily?

I figure somebody out there has done it, so I am looking for the easiest and least time consuming way to do this.

Thanks,

Marty

I can tell you what not to do. I picked and pulled at the stuff and eventually gave up and when I had the car dipped to remove the paint, they sand blasted the stuff off. Unfortunately, the roof metal is thin and they really warped/distorted it. The body shop guy had a fit trying to flatten it out. I have used aircraft remover to take paint and a variety of things off. Its pretty harsh so you have to be careful not to let it drip on you. I tried the "automotive" Goo Gone and it didn't do much. Hopefully someone can give you a better suggestion.

carl

There is this Grafiti Remover spray that is sold at Lowe's and HD. It is pretty viscous and should have some good 'hang time'. I am thinking that you could spray some of that and use a scraper to clean it up real nice.

BTW what adhesive are you planning to use when you reinstall the Headliner? I've heard others used 3M Super 77, any thoughts.

Sort of expensive, but well worth a try is 3M Adhesive Remover p/n 089084, available at most car parts stores.

I bet MEK will also take down anything you have hanging there, but that is some potent stuff. You can get that at any hardware store.

I can vouch for the 3M adhesive remover. It is good stuff. I used to use the super 77 for headliner installs, but it is only ok. If I remember right that is the glue that sprays on quite thin and doesnt work well. The other spray can at lowes that sprays on the glue really globby works much better. Sorry that I cant think of the number for sure.

There is this Grafiti Remover spray that is sold at Lowe's and HD. It is pretty viscous and should have some good 'hang time'. I am thinking that you could spray some of that and use a scraper to clean it up real nice.

BTW what adhesive are you planning to use when you reinstall the Headliner? I've heard others used 3M Super 77, any thoughts.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am not re-installing the headliner, because this is a race car. I need to clean up the roof to paint it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am not re-installing the headliner, because this is a race car. I need to clean up the roof to paint it.

use a automotive eraser they can damage lacquer paint. What they are used for is removing decals and striping in body shops. They do the job quikly

If you have some charcoal starter around that will do the trick as well. It's base agent is a chemical called NAPTHALENE. We used it at a place I used to work and it would clean up sealant like no one's biz. Use a thick pair of rubber gloves though it will burn the skin

When I had the roof skin replaced on my car, the body guy just used a DA on it. Might clog a few sanding discs, but it might be easier than dealing with nasty chemicals.

I used to use the super 77 for headliner installs, but it is only ok. If I remember right that is the glue that sprays on quite thin and doesnt work well. The other spray can at lowes that sprays on the glue really globby works much better. Sorry that I cant think of the number for sure.
I used 3M number 76 adhesive. The 3M website recommended that one for foam-to-metal, and for heat resistance. It has worked great. Edited by Arne

Good suggestion Arne. If you use a DA sander, you probably don't want to go higher than 80 grit though or you will use a TON of discs. Ask me how I know this :)
I'm pretty certain that he said he used 80 grit.