IGNORED

tool falls inside block coolant passages

Panamared

Hi all.

Plz anyone can help me.

I was rereconditioning my block and taking all dirt from the threads when the tool falls into one(picture). I was thinking to remove the core plugs to see if Im able to recover the tool. Dont know how bad it is but I dont want that piece of metal inside the block coolant passages (Can`t be a good thing).

It is possible to take this thing out.

Thank You.

post-10655-14150810515457_thumb.jpg

Maybe you could try turning the block upside down like Oiluj suggests, then getting a long pipe cleaner and trying to get at it from the other end?

What kind of tool was it?

I agree with pulling the plugs if you have the block that far down, having the block tanked and checked. Usually the shop doing the tanking will install the plugs for you for a couple of bucks anyway, and you will know everything lines up correctly and you have a nice deck surface, etc. You can also have everything balanced to for a pretty reasonable price..

my 2 cents..

is the tool steel? if so, you could use a magnetic pick-up tool like this:

http://www.magnets2buy.com/acatalog/telescopic-pick-up-tool.jpg

or if it's plastic, you could use a grabber tool like this:

http://hdtools.co.uk/family/albums/album16/Ullman_Grabber_tool.jpg

i got my magnetic flexible pick up tool from Northern Tool for like $4. like they say above, turning it upside down might work too.

Edited by saridout

I've actually used a clear, flexible tubing, fitted to the vacuum cleaner to pull an injector pintle cap from a cylinder. Not a bad way to clean out hidden crap at the same time. It might work, but of course, removing the freeze plugs would be a really good idea anyway and would likely help more. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...