IGNORED

My dash cracked!!!

Bonzi Lon

I am a dissenter on the dash cap. IIRC, Bonzi Lon's car is pretty darn original / restored. A dash cap is like putting flames on a Ferrari.

Search the threads - someone here posted a DIY dash repair that was amazing in terms of quality, cost, and ease. That's the way I'd go.

Getting the dashes rebuilt is better in the long run. Newer materials that aren't as prone to the elements and temp ranges. If you found stock crack free replacement, you will still have to deal with a 30+ year old dash and it will crack, not if, but when.

$850-1200 isn't that bad a price to pay for an uncracked dash that will last longer than the car. As stated above even the dash caps will warp when left out in the heat.

Hi Arne.

Do you know of any Z owners who have utilized their services?

Not first hand, no. But since they are close enough to me to be within driving distances, I suspect they might be fairly high on my list if/when mine finally cracks. Assuming that discussions with them didn't scare me off.

Thank you all for your condolences, it is still hard to beleive. It did last a very long time though and I protected it constantly since i learned how rare they were. Only used soft damp cloth, covered with either a towel or cardboard cutout while out driving or at shows, always tried to shade it.

I won't /can't do anything about it now or in the near future because of the broken back I received earlier this year. Someone else would have to do the removal then install, and all before Nashville, can't be done. Then the cost, that is another. I'll try to touch on the issues.

Never used anything on it except a damp cloth. From when padded dashes first came out in the late 50's, Grandpa instilled in us that was all you needed because it was just dust, or SHOULD be. That is all I ever used on any of my cars.

A dash cap is out of the question. I've seen them and it is a cost thing, and I understand that. The refurbished from $850 to $1200 is a better way to go, but still not original. They are only original once. The links are going to be very helpful, thanks. An original at say $2500? That is a little steep for me, at this time. Then they also could be lible to crack also. That is rather hard to take when I paid $2600 for the whole car in 77! :stupid:

So I'm going to have to live with it. I'll let the judges at Nashville decide what kind of overall condition the car is in. It never has been judged to a set of standards before. Sounds like it could be an education. Is it worth keeping this way or thinking about a complete restoration.

The refurbishment was paint, emblems, carpet, engine overhaul, carbs, headers, seats. Original includes door & hatch gaskets, bushings, splash pan, vinyl, wheel covers, speakerless door panels, complete under carrage, various braded hoses.

Bonzi Lon

There are some guys that makes dash repairs, maybe they can fix it so it will last for some time, this topic makes me wipe off the grin i have had since i got a near mint dash, i just hope it get's here un cracked.

Chris

Sorry to hear of this Bonzi. There are a lot of us in the same boat. Mine has not cracked yet, but if you look closely you can see where it will in the future. I think it is just a matter of time for all of us. I am just thankful that we have options, even if it is not original, as well as costly. Get well and take care of your back. Hobbies are just that, and can wait.

Edited by geezer

The refurbished from $850 to $1200 is a better way to go, but still not original. They are only original once.
While original is obviously best, to my mind the dash pad is like the paint. When the original paint or dash is no longer good enough, have it redone in the best manner possible using today's better materials. I too would have a bit of a problem paying more for an un-cracked replacement than I would to have mine re-covered, for fear that the replacement would crack again at some point.

Paint has been done on mine, I suppose the dash is only a matter of time...

Awww man, what a bummer. I was just thinking about mine the other day considering how unusually cold it was here last week. Hopefully I don't have any surprises waiting in the garage for me.

Looking at your crack (not plumber's) it doesn't look too bad. If it were me might try some putting some black show polish in it and forget about it. Can anyone think of a reason why shoe polish should not be used on a dash crack?

Enigma:

What a great idea. I should of thought of that as I used the Kiwi black shoe polish all over the black bits in the car, except for the dash and glove box door. Wanted to see how it held up on the other parts first before I even thought about using it on the 'then' un-cracked dash & glovie door. Used it on the kick panels, console, the skirt covering the rockers, even the door and hatch gaskets. Really worked great, blackend right up, then polished it just like shoes. I think I will wait to use it when it warms up this spring and see if the crack becomes larger over time. Thanks for bringing it up. It will be like 'Carnuba Bondo'.

Feeling a little better, but still devistated.

Bonzi Lon