IGNORED

Pay it forward!!!

Marty Rogan

9 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I think I kept those.  Out there somewhere, I'll look.  That's a USPS flat rate part, I think.

I'm not a big shipper so if somebody knows the cheap ways, chime in. 

I've used Greyhound Package Express to ship large items like hatch glass. It was about $65.00, Portland to Denver.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zed Head said:

CO, do you promise to consider developing a method for using a late model MAF sensor in place of the AFM?

I don't know anything about it, but would be happy to help someone who did!

So if you've got an AFM suitable for dissection, that would be great. It doesn't have to work electrically since I'm just going to take it apart. I want to build an AFM adjustment tool (to take some of the tediousness out of it), and I just need some of the mechanicals. I suspect they used a screwdriver looking device tool to adjust them at the factory, and I'd like to make one. Picture a screwdriver with a small gear at the tip instead of a flat blade or Phillips.

As far as shipping methods go, I'm not a big shipper either, but I can tell you that the flat rate boxes definitely work best for small heavy things. Larger lightweight things would be candidates for a different method. UPS or Fed-Ex or non-flat rate at USPS.

USPS changed their pricing schedule a whole bunch maybe a year ago? They used to always have "Priority" and "Standard Ground". Well now for many packages, they've done away with the standard (cheaper) ground and only offer priority. I think they will still allow you to ship "standard", but they will charge you more for slower shipping, so standard ground may as well not exist.

Anyway, when you get around to digging through the pile, PM me a pic of the candidate AFM so I can make sure the mechanicals look like mine inside? Or I can send you a pic of mine?

6 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I just sent a package to someone. It was about 36 inches, by 7 by 5, and it weighted a little over nine pounds. It cost about sixteen bucks to ship at Fed-Ex.

For me to reroute back to you is $18.40 USPS

FedEx ground $12.49...

Fascinating...I suspect rates vary widely by area and which way the freight is headed. I priced some boxes recently that were pretty light but I couldn't beat the flat rate boxes. They were going towards the west coast though...

Edited by Patcon

6 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Anyway, when you get around to digging through the pile, PM me a pic of the candidate AFM so I can make sure the mechanicals look like mine inside? Or I can send you a pic of mine?

Here's the two.  One is a 75/76 unit that I picked up for cheap, A31-060 001, and the other came on my 1978 parts car.  A31-604 000.  It has a working fuel pump contact though, so I used it on my 76 for a while.  They both work, with the tweak, so you'll have to overcome the quease of destroying a working part.  Or just put it back together when you're done.  They both have the backfire valve in the vane.

a31060001.PNG

a31604000.PNG

ZedHead, I'll buy one of those AFM"s for my 77. I would like to set one up for passing emissions and only using it for emissions testing for my Z.

You can PM me with amount you want for it.

I'm thinking the one for the 78 will work for me if it does have the fuel pump contacts in it like you say.

Edited by rcb280z

17 hours ago, Patcon said:

FedEx ground $12.49...

Right! Reminds me of something with Fed-Ex! I got the exact same price (quote) you did when I used their on-line estimator tool. Quote tool said $12.49, but my receipt says $15.71, and I'm not real happy about that.

At least I think I figured out what happened... I've got a Fed-Ex account that I opened up a number of years ago because it's a little bit cheaper if you use an account. Saves them time because they don't have to go through all the hassle of dealing with payment at the store. They just charge it to the account number. And I also suspect they give you that little price break because it "keeps you coming back". In the past, I've saved like 5% on the on-line quoted prices using my account number as opposed to just some random guy walking in off the street. It also makes it easy for me to have stuff shipped TO me without sellers padding the amount. I just tell them to use Fed-Ex and give them my account number. Easier for the seller because they don't have to worry about any of those details, and also that way I'm charged actual shipping only.

Well anyway, for reasons unknown (to me), this time it was actually MORE expensive when I used my account. Unfortunately I didn't figure that out at the time, and just paid it. The down side of using an account is that you walk in and they don't have to ask you anything. You hand them the package and they hand you a receipt. So you don't even know what the total is until it's over. You can ask ahead of time, but I usually don't even bother anymore because it's usually a trivial amount LESS than the quote.

I should have told them to screw the acct and I'll just pay cash. I've opened up an incident ticket with them. I'm not real happy about it.

My bad for not asking first, I guess. Or their bad for what I consider questionable business practices?