IGNORED

Struts and Springs Buying Guide

ConchZ

............ Finally, I opted for the stock springs in this set-up. This is what I want! Soft enough to drive every day, but solid enough to take a spirited drive down the long windy roads. It is a very nice compromise. In addition, I can now use the adjustability of the Illumina’s. On all the previous set-ups, I had them on the softest setting (1) . Now I can dial them in. I currently have the fronts set at 3 and rears on 2.

So, just thought I’d share my thoughts on this for anyone interested.

Motorman7, I am so glad you took the time to share this. It saves me (probably many others) from having to go through several experiments to get what we want with our suspension.

My car is completely stock and I have been planning to do some tweaking of the suspension as I enjoy going up to the canyons of Malibu (used to be a sportbiker). I won't be doing any overly aggressive driving, but it will be nice to know and feel that my suspension will be reliable and can take some corners better than stock.

I think I am going to stick to the stock springs and install Tokico Illimuminas. I also need to replace other suspension components like bushings, tie rods and ball joints up front. I will also stay with my 14" wheels until the tires wear out, then I am going to shift to 16" Panasports but probably with slightly lower profile. This is more for the "looks".

Thanks again!

The initial configuration was the Tokico Illumina adjustable struts, Tokico 5020 Springs,195/50 Yokohama H4’s(AA traction Rating) on Konig 14” rewinds, 1” diameter Anti-sway bars front and rear, and front and rear shock tower support bars.

I'm thinking that a 1" front/rear sway bars, combined with front/rear shock tower support bars, plus 50 series tires would make any set of springs ride really rough.

In any case, I'm assuming my stock springs are shot, given that my rear bottoms out on nearly every bump with two people in the car, so I don't think I should re-use them. Does this make sense? Any chance its just the struts? I doubt it, as the car doesn't have any extra bounce, and the struts have only about 20k miles on them (they're almost 20 years old, though).

Attached are two pics, demonstrating the car's ride height. The one with the tape measure is showing the lowest point of the frame rail just inside the dog leg, without me sitting in the car. It's well under 6 inches. The wheels/tires are 185/70/14s. I'm refinishing the center caps. I'd like bigger wheels, but I sorta like having these old Keystones, because the seem rare.

If I could be sure that the Tokico springs wouldn't lower the thing any more than it already is, I think I'll get them. At its current ride height, the rear mud flaps drag on speed bumps, damaging them. This might not be so bad if the rear didn't sag so much with my 200lbs sitting in it.

Thanks for the input, nice discussion...

Matt

post-17507-14150808739113_thumb.jpg

post-17507-14150808739778_thumb.jpg

Edited by ConchZ

I don't know guys, I've had KYB struts with my Eibach PR springs for over 4 years of daily driving, racing around town and small tracks, and they still seem to be holding up great. Freeways are smooth, corners are tight and the wife never bitches about her "Precious Butt" after a long road trip.

I know that KYB says "NO" but I've had NO problems. And as a matter of fact, I've already bought and installed the same combo into the 260Z. Can't tell you how they feel as the car won't be on the road till about April and they'll need some break in time as well.

Opinions?

Dave.

Mark, I'll be running spring rates that work better with the AD struts. Let me know when you put them on ebay.

Will do Jon. I'm always open for interesting trades on performance equipment too. The old struts are still on the car, though hopefully not much longer.

FYI a local Corvette club is running an autocross this weekend here in Lompoc. I'm going to take my red street 240Z with Ground Control coil-overs and heat-cycled-out RR compound Hoosiers and have some fun. Too bad you're not back in Cali to enjoy the fun! I give you credit for explaining to me the whole coil-over theory some years back at Buttonwillow.

Mark

In any case, I'm assuming my stock springs are shot, given that my rear bottoms out on nearly every bump with two people in the car, so I don't think I should re-use them. Does this make sense? Any chance its just the struts? I doubt it, as the car doesn't have any extra bounce, and the struts have only about 20k miles on them (they're almost 20 years old, though).

Attached are two pics, demonstrating the car's ride height. The one with the tape measure is showing the lowest point of the frame rail just inside the dog leg, without me sitting in the car. It's well under 6 inches. The wheels/tires are 185/70/14s. I'm refinishing the center caps. I'd like bigger wheels, but I sorta like having these old Keystones, because the seem rare.

Hi Matt,

Just did a check on my two Z's here. Both are equipped with stock springs (both nearly 40 years old). The Silver Z has the Illumina's with 205/60/16 tires. The Gold Z has stock shocks (1 year old) and 185/70/14 tires. I measured at the same location you did for both cars. On the Gold, the height is 5 5/8". On the Silver the height is 6 1/4". The difference in height is definitely a result of the difference in tire size. Not sure if the shocks impact the height at all.

Regarding the car bottoming out, I would say it is definitely the shocks. 25 years ago, I drove the Gold Z up to Idaho for my folks and it was the sweetest drive of my life. It was the perfect road trip. I drove it back from Idaho last April and it was pure misery. The shocks were toast. It was like driving a boat. Add 50 mile an hour winds along the Columbia River and you have a recipe for disaster. The car bottomed out numerous times on the 1200 mile trip. Due to the shocks being so bad we did not take the car much above 60 mph.

Once back in San Diego, I installed the new shocks and it was like a new car. The ride is soft compared to the Illumina's, but definitely a great improvement in the handling and no bottoming out at all; even with two people.

Attached are some pics of the ride height for both cars.

Rich

post-19125-14150808745787_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150808746556_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150808747155_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150808747753_thumb.jpg

Will do Jon. I'm always open for interesting trades on performance equipment too. The old struts are still on the car, though hopefully not much longer.

Don't know that I have much anymore, most of my stuff is all custom these days, but if you're looking for something in particular PM me. If you need stock parts too, my brother-in-law basically bought a Z junkyard and owes me, so I can get you engine parts, doors, hatches, etc. Not performance stuff, but stock stuff...

FYI a local Corvette club is running an autocross this weekend here in Lompoc. I'm going to take my red street 240Z with Ground Control coil-overs and heat-cycled-out RR compound Hoosiers and have some fun. Too bad you're not back in Cali to enjoy the fun! I give you credit for explaining to me the whole coil-over theory some years back at Buttonwillow.

Autox in Lompoc? How convenient for you! I'll let some friends know and maybe you'll get a couple more Datsuns down there. I wish I could join you. We just hit the rainy season here. We won't hardly see the sun for another 6 or 7 months.

Autox in Lompoc? How convenient for you! I'll let some friends know and maybe you'll get a couple more Datsuns down there. I wish I could join you. We just hit the rainy season here. We won't hardly see the sun for another 6 or 7 months.

Here's the link: http://vaportrailvettes.com/forms-flyers/autocross2009.jpg Don't know how many cars they're accepting or whether the field is full.

Mark

I don't know guys, I've had KYB struts with my Eibach PR springs for over 4 years of daily driving, racing around town and small tracks, and they still seem to be holding up great. Freeways are smooth, corners are tight and the wife never bitches about her "Precious Butt" after a long road trip.

I know that KYB says "NO" but I've had NO problems. And as a matter of fact, I've already bought and installed the same combo into the 260Z. Can't tell you how they feel as the car won't be on the road till about April and they'll need some break in time as well.

Opinions?

Dave.

What were the part numbers stamped on your 240's eibach springs, as i have a set (came with my parts car uninstalled) and am planning on using them with kyb gas struts (also came with my parts car uninstalled), i am glad to hear that they work fine together, are you happy with the stance and ride hieght as well? Edited by J Shara