106_3979.JPG

106_3980.JPG

Had to first weld a nut to the inside for the lower fender attachement point -

106_3982.JPG

106_3984.JPG

106_3987.JPG

A skim coat of kitty hair finishes the weld dressing -

106_3989.JPG

Finished some odds and ends and started prepping the underside for a coating of Dupli-colors rubberized undercoating. It'll give me a nice, evenly covered canvass to start re-assembling the suspension onto. Maybe it'll be back on its wheels and ready for paint this summer!

106_3992.JPG

106_3991.JPG

Edited by e-tek

I'm curious why you put the tiger hair over your welds that will never be seen. I've never seen that done before. Are you trying to seal up potential pinholes and/or

smooth out the weld and make it prettier?

Nice metal work btw. I've dismantled west coast cars with alot less rust than what you're dealing with. Since you have had the car more than 15

yrs, you probably have sentimental attachment to it.

Edited by hr369

Wow - this is more replies than I've had since beginning this thread!

I'm curious why you put the tiger hair over your welds that will never be seen. I've never seen that done before. Are you trying to seal up potential pinholes and/or smooth out the weld and make it prettier?

Nice metal work btw. I've dismantled west coast cars with alot less rust than what you're dealing with. Since you have had the car more than 15

yrs, you probably have sentimental attachment to it.

To seal up potential pinholes - even tho I'm pretty careful not to have any!

These 240's had bad metal from the factory - likely all recycled and little in the way of rust-defense, like phosphate protection coatings where used in Japanese manufacturing back then.

Awesome build e-tek! Youve definitely got a dream garage and tool collection. Cant wait to see what parts you put in it!

It's gonna be perfectly stock....

You continue to impress with your skills E-tek. I love watching this thread as it provides motivation and confidence that I can do my floors one day soon too. Keep the pics and updates coming!

You can do it!

Got the bottom-side undercoated today - now on to prep :cry:

photo.JPG

photo.JPG

Did you strip the underside before applying the undercoat. My plan was to get the whole car media blasted before applying underside coating, paint, etc...

I didn't strip it, but the floor pans were bare of course and the back end had the factory Undercoat. I cleaned it all really well with a variety of wire brushes, then with a lot of wax and grease remover solvent. Any repairs and new metal got a couple coats of self-etch primer and then I sprayed 3-5 coats of the Dupli-color undercoating on it all. Should be good for another 30 years!

Next up is the body work on the body and all the panels, then I'll fit them all up, gap it all, then tear it down again to paint the inners and back-sides of everything - hopefully if I can get that done by May or June, I can get the entire thing painted by August. If that happens it'll be a running, driving show-car for summer 2014!