IGNORED

Genuine Barn Find! Help/Advice required.

mattbibbey

I must opine and say that I'm also enjoying the green color -- very unique. Who knows, perhaps once you get her cleaned off it may not look so bad... perhaps a bit of wet-sanding and buffing will make it look presentable again?

Fantastic find my friend, welcome to the madness. :stupid:

Will do! I'm picking her up on tuesday the 25th so expect to see some pictures of her first jouney in 23 years( all be it on the back of a trailer! haha) Can't wait to see what state she's actually in, when i looked at it in situe, all the wheels were flat so couldn't see any of the underside at all! Hopefully there won't be any horrendous surprises!

Thanks to you all for your interest and comments, it's really great.

Matt

Halfords (online anyhow) at least carry NGK brand spark plugs which seem to be the favourite amongst enthusiasts. The proper number is BP6ES. I don't see that particular number on their site but the numbers may be different in the UK. However, I suspect that new plugs will be a minor concern compared to everything else you'll need to look at.

Edit: it looks like they might be also called number 807 but I only see them in 4 packs. You obviously will want at least 6.

Edited by MikeW

Well! There's good news! The chap I bought the car from has just told me that he's been turning the engine over once a week for the last twenty years! It turns over with no problems or sounds now but doesn't start. I figured with it turning over that's 80% done on getting the engine running LOL. Fear not, nothing will be rushed and all will be done correctly so not to cause any damage.

I'm picking the car up tuesday week, I borrowed a trailer from my OC ( officer commanding, I'm in the army) so a small trip out to look forward to!

After all this time, I'd say New Plugs, wires, cap, rotor and condensor. All easily replaced parts and won't blow the wallet up in the process.

Dump the old oil and filter for new 10/30 weight and a decent FRAM oil filter? or what ever is common in the UK. Dump the old fuel and clear the fuel lines and clean out the float bowls then replace the fuel filter. Fill the tank only 1/2 way (about 6 gallons) with mid to super grade. THEN try and start her up. (Adding about 2 ounces of fuel to each float bowl will decrease the starting (cranking) time. If your spark and all is good. Check the Coil as well.

Not sure of the history of the car thus far, but doing the above definately Won't hurt the car.

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain