IGNORED

71 Spare Tire

rtaylor

Sunday I had nothing at all to do. So I decided to go work on the Z. I installed the right upper door seal and then was done. Then I remebered that someone has in his signature the statement to the effect of When was the last time you checked the air in your spare? (Tomo?) I never had. And apparently never had my father-in-law either. The Bridgestone tire was brand new. It still smelled like new rubber. It has never been out of the tub. Check out the red and blue paint still on the tread ( held by my little tire wrangler). And what is the brass thing on top of the valve stem? The cover and deck still had the triangle stickers on them as if brand new. The original paint in the tub looks brand new, no nicks or rust.

I couldn't pick it up with my camera, but the tub has a rubber imprint on it "175 HR 14" from not having been moved in thirty eight years. Pretty cool.

post-9967-14150807929233_thumb.jpg

post-9967-14150807929589_thumb.jpg

post-9967-14150807929832_thumb.jpg

post-9967-14150807930083_thumb.jpg

post-9967-14150807930346_thumb.jpg

post-9967-14150807930633_thumb.jpg

Edited by rtaylor

Thirty-eight years without a flat tire may be some sort of a record! Some of the newer cars, like the Mini, no longer have a spare. I guess road hazards are fewer and tires are better. BTW, I still have my original spare, but it's been on the road.

Dennis

And what is the brass thing on top of the valve stem?
That is a traditional Japanese brass valve cap from those days. Probably made by "Pacific". The cap itself is brass, and will have a rubber seal inside. The rubber cone-shaped cap on the tip can be removed (by gently twisting and pulling) to reveal a valve core tool. Don't see those much any more, and never on automotive tires.

I think it is Nate (CoastGuardZ), that has the spare tire air pressure reminder in his signature. Wow, remarkable condition, I'm jealous! I'm looking for a spare tire tub to replace the Swiss cheese version in my Z. (shameless plug). Very nice Randy!

I think it is Nate (CoastGuardZ), that has the spare tire air pressure reminder in his signature. Wow, remarkable condition, I'm jealous! I'm looking for a spare tire tub to replace the Swiss cheese version in my Z. (shameless plug). Very nice Randy!

Geezer: I have a very nice tub already media blasted. I will get some photos tonight when I get home

rtaylor, thats a awsome looking spare.

Dan

Sunday I had nothing at all to do. So I decided to go work on the Z. I installed the right upper door seal and then was done. Then I remebered that someone has in his signature the statement to the effect of When was the last time you checked the air in your spare? (Tomo?) I never had. And apparently never had my father-in-law either. The Bridgestone tire was brand new. It still smelled like new rubber. It has never been out of the tub. Check out the red and blue paint still on the tread ( held by my little tire wrangler). And what is the brass thing on top of the valve stem? The cover and deck still had the triangle stickers on them as if brand new. The original paint in the tub looks brand new, no nicks or rust.

I couldn't pick it up with my camera, but the tub has a rubber imprint on it "175 HR 14" from not having been moved in thirty eight years. Pretty cool.

Cool!!!!! Mine was used at least 1 time, though. Your have air from 40 years ago! Your wheel also should have same production date at the rim. It should be 1/1971, or 2/1971 as the rest of wheels on the car.

Esprist

Wow - that is clean!

I still have my original spare as well - but like Dennis, mine has been on the road - I've probably had 4 or 5 flats with the Z-car. It still holds air and I've always kept it topped off (check it about every 6 months to a year).

One of these days, I've GOT to get a new tire as a spare and finally retire the 37-year old RD-150. Not sure I'd want to have a flat on the interstate and have to drive very far on a 37-year old tire !

Edited by Goose52

Oddly enough, my car—despite it's originality in most ways—did not have the original spare when I bought it. Instead the original owner had substituted a bigger 195/70-14 Goodyear on one of the ugly chrome basket wheels that the dealer installed on it when new. Later, the owner installed a set of real wire wheels, which must have been when the original spare was disposed of.

Since the big Goodyear didn't fit in the well properly, I now have a stock steel wheel from one of my parts cars (dated 3-71) with an old 175HR14 Michelin XAS. Not great, but probably only 25 years old!