IGNORED

Cloth Braid tubing option?

Has anyone checked out this Earl's pro-lite 350 stuff for use in place of the stock cloth tubing? From some of the pics, the braid looks similar to the original. In a bit of a bind here with half of my hoses braided (40 years old) and half not. It looks off. They need to be one or the other.

http://www.earls.co.uk/earls/hose/prolite.html

Has anyone checked out this Earl's pro-lite 350 stuff for use in place of the stock cloth tubing? From some of the pics, the braid looks similar to the original. In a bit of a bind here with half of my hoses braided (40 years old) and half not. It looks off. They need to be one or the other.

http://www.earls.co.uk/earls/hose/prolite.html

Well, these will be too glossy and not as flexible in my opinion. Silicone will collapse when you actually install it into the pipe.

I have tried all kinds of options with different material. but it is alway better to reproduce new one than covered hoses or old NOS ones.

In next few weeks, I am getting my sample ones for 240z done soon from Japan.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34723&highlight=braided+hose

I will have 100 of upper and 100 of Lower, braided hoses)made in Japan)

And cost will be about $65+65=$130 a set. Mold is very very expensive here, but I always prefer products made in Japan.

Esprist

Edited by esprist

Well, these will be too glossy and not as flexible in my opinion. Silicone will collapse when you actually install it into the pipe.

I have tried all kinds of options with different material. but it is alway better to reproduce new one than covered hoses or old NOS ones.

In next few weeks, I am getting my sample ones for 240z done soon from Japan.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34723&highlight=braided+hose

I will have 100 of upper and 100 of Lower, braided hoses)made in Japan)

And cost will be about $65+65=$130 a set. Mold is very very expensive here, but I always prefer products made in Japan.

Esprist

Definitely want some of those. They should be nice. If I can re-condition my current braided hoses I should be in good shape.

I have a nice '66 Mustang that HAD nylon braided sleeving on all the major hoses and plastic sleeving on all the wiring. It was really pretty, until the decorative blue aluminum fuel filter popped apart and dripped fuel on all the decorative sleeving. Once on fire, the sleeving spread the fire farther than it should have travelled, including downwardly via flaming drops of plastic that would stick to decorative sleeving below. I extinguished the fire before any damage was done (thank the gods!), but my hoses and wiring were a mess. I replaced with stainless steel braid. It's both pretty and flame proof. I of course ditched the pretty, decorative fuel filter and installed a sealed disposable one.

Silicone rubber vacuum lines don't collapse, as long as you get the thick-walled ones. I just replaced a lot of rubber on my "new" '78 Z with silicone rubber. No problems. I used tubing like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VACUUM-HOSE-SILICONE-VACUUM-HOSE-KIT-BLACK-3-sizes_W0QQitemZ280358982236QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4146b2925c&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1171

It comes in a variety of colors.

New upper and lower radiator hoses are still plentiful. They cost about $10 each from AutoZone. The AZ manager tells me aftermarket hoses are still manufactured for most cars from the 1950's and even for the most popular automobiles from much earlier (e.g. a Ford Model T). You can get a SS braiding kit for $50 to dress them up. Securing the ends is not a problem, as the kit comes with decorative stained aluminum fittings for doing that. It looks sharp. I haven't done the decorative braiding on my Z, as the rest of the engine compartment isn't all that pretty. However, it looks really great on my Mustang! FAIW, you secure the braided ends by wrapping them with electrical tape, trimming any loose ends, and then clamping over the electrical tape. It looks neat, even without the special fittings.

I found the large vent hose from the valve cover to the throttle body was rather unslghtly, and it was overly floppy, as it was really a 3/4" heater hose. I replaced mine with a 1/2" copper pipe, turning a right angle, following the fuel rail towards the front of the engine, then turning a right angle, slightly ahead of the throttle linkage, and then pointing downwards the throttle chamber. The connections on the two ends were via short lengths of rubber hose. I suppose the fitting could be chrome or nickel plated or painted to dress it up. It could also be SS braided. Clearance is an issue in the engine compartment, so you have to keep the pipe pretty tight to the engine. I have a clearance of about 3/4" in the tightest area over the throttle body.

I've not found any NOS brake vacuum hoses -- only junkyard stuff in supposedly good condition. I have a silicone rubber hose running the short length from the engine to the check valve on the firewall. (Again, no trouble with collapsing, as it is very thick-walled.) I'm thinking of stringing a small steel rod through the interior of another silicone rubber hose to create a "form" for the second hose to the vacuum booster. I can keep the ends from wandering into the respective parts by bending loops in the ends that are slightly too big for the orifices. Of course it's also really important to make sure there are no sharp ends, especially with silicone rubber (which I suspect can rip rather easily).

All in all, the engine compartment is pretty easy. It's all the weather stripping and seals that cost!

Peace,

Sarah

AEROQUIP 1525 in the Grey / Black colourway is pretty good.

Here's a piece of 5/8" AEROQUIP 1525 laid next to a 432 radiator hose. Not too bad of a match:

Where do you get these Aeroquip hoses?

Also, can someone tell me the inside diameter of the 72 240's radiator hoses?

Thanks,