IGNORED

1973 lug nut size

Z_YAZZI

I admit this is a dumb question, but I'm in CA, and my elderly mother's 1973 240Z is in Loveland, CO. I'm going there Thursday to help sort though her stuff in preparation for moving her to an assisted living facility. The car has been sitting in her garage for 20 years and the tires are nearly flat. I'll need to remove the wheels in order to take them to a gas station and pump up the tires so the car can roll (it doesn't run).

My question is: what size socket should I take with me to CO for the lug nuts? The wheels are the original slotted "mags."

Once I get there, I'll take photos and place a "For Sale" ad on this site. It should make a nice restoration project for someone.

Thanks, zKars, for the info (and the good wishes). That helps me pare down how many tools I have to pack! (egh, I'm afraid the original lug wrench is probably long gone, along with the jack... :( )

Good point. I do seem to remember (although I was only 12 years old at the time) that the "mags" were a dealer-installed option. I brought it up only in case the lug nut size was different.

Why not buy an electric (110AC or 12VDC) air pump and save yourself the hassle?

If this is not an option, buy a 5 gal air tank and fill that up at the gas station, then use that to fill the tires. $20-25

Last option, buy a 4-way lug wrench, and take a set of 1/2" sockets, a 1/2" breaker bar, and a BFH in case there are locking nuts on the wheels. If so, find a socket a little smaller than the outer diametre of the locknut and hammer it on tight enough that you can then wrench the locknut off with the breaker bar.

Edited by =Enigma=

Thanks for the ideas, =Enigma=. I'll pack a breaker bar and a couple of sockets (you're right -- each wheel, as I recall, does include one locking nut). As for the idea of buying an air pump, I can't justify the cost for just this one isolated situation. Cheaper and more efficient to just pull the wheels and take them to a gas station. Right??...

Thanks for your input, all!

Cheaper and more efficient to just pull the wheels and take them to a gas station. Right??...

Thanks for your input, all!

Not in my mind but to each his own. Time=Money. Personlly, I'd rather spend $20 than take of the wheels and lug them to the station, only to have to put them back on. And this is without having to deal with locking lug nuts without a key. The air pump will always come in handy again, but if you don't have the $$$$ you have to make due with what you have. Been there, done that.

I look forward to the pics. Be sure to take lots of pics of the frame rails (inside & outside the engine compartment) and underneath, under the battery, dog legs, floor pans, lower radiator support, rear hatch ledge, etc.

Edited by =Enigma=

• 13 years later...
On 6/15/2009 at 9:48 PM, zKars said:

There are only two common sizes for wheel nuts. 3/4 and 13/16. They are likely 13/16. The wheel wrench may be in the car, in the storage bins behind the seats. Good luck in CO!

That's where mine are for my 240. The newer 280 has them attached to the side of the compact spare tire.