IGNORED

If it wasn't for bad luck.....

Took on the valve seals in both cars today - started at 1030 this AM and gave up at 1030 PM - need two more hours to get it done.

Bad luck - first cylinder (first valve) of the 240 I dropped a seal into the timing belt cavity (actually slipped out of my well oiled hand when trying to install).:stupid::tapemouth

No way to see it or find it - so I carried on and finished the job thinking it must be going to the bottom of the oil pan and no harm done. I tried a long handled magnet - no joy.

No luck at all - started the 280 after supper. First valve/first cylinder popped the old seal and the SOB flew into the air two feet and went right down the timing belt cavitiy. What are the odds? (fairly good, I am now thinking). :stupid::stupid::tapemouth:tapemouth

If I ever do another L6 I WILL cover the opening.

Just wondering where it can go - the belt is clear (in both) visually and physically (as I have rolled both by hand several revolutions by hand). I am thinking they are in the bottom of the sump - waiting for an overhaul.

No easy options. $^!#

Choice words - being a sailor I got to use some old navy lingo - not suitable for family viewing.

Gary - I am nothing if not thorough. Merely a comparison of the L24 and L28 - see which chews up rubber with steel rings better. :)

Not that this helps you now, but I ALWAYS stuff a rag down in the chain pocket as soon as I pull the valve cover. If I have to rotate the engine, I remove it and then reinsert it right away again. That damn hole is like a huge vacuum. All dropped parts will find their way to the oil pan via that hole.

Hmmm, that gives me an idea. How about a custom cover that fits around the chain and gear that still allows rotation, but without the worry of parts falling in??? A bit of aluminum sheet and I have a prototype! Heck, we have clutch alignment tools and timing chain wedges, why not a plastic cover for the front of the head to use during maintenance?

Good advice on blocking the hole off Jeff. Small things like this can sometimes cost you BIG! If the seal made it thru the chain area and into the pan, no sweat. My concern would be if the seal was caught between the chain and the gear. Bad news on startup! If you can't see it, try turning the engine by hand a couple of times. Should be OK if this works. Good luck Bob!

Not that this helps you now, but I ALWAYS stuff a rag down in the chain pocket as soon as I pull the valve cover. If I have to rotate the engine, I remove it and then reinsert it right away again. That damn hole is like a huge vacuum. All dropped parts will find their way to the oil pan via that hole.

Hmmm, that gives me an idea. How about a custom cover that fits around the chain and gear that still allows rotation, but without the worry of parts falling in??? A bit of aluminum sheet and I have a prototype! Heck, we have clutch alignment tools and timing chain wedges, why not a plastic cover for the front of the head to use during maintenance?

Better yet, a magnetic bowl in the shape of the T-Chain opening...