IGNORED

Euro Springs Group Buy???

Z Good 1

Just wondering if there have been any substantive conversations about doing another group buy of the Stage 1 Euro springs. I know some of the club members worked to do this the first time (much appreciated), just didn't have my '73 at that time. I would love to get these springs for the refreshment of my car. Let me know if I can help in the process. Thanks.

This could be tough to pull off while we are in the economic doldrums now. It takes a pretty hefty quantity to get the spring winders to justify running a batch. And it's very tough to get that many people to commit ahead of time. Last time, Courtesy Nissan pulled it off - they bought the whole run, then sold sets to the original group that pre-ordered them and kept the rest to sell to the general public.

The state of the auto industry being what it is now, I think it'll be hard for a company like Courtesy to devote that kind of cash to an off-the-wall project like this. Money is simply too tight right now. Which means you'd need to get enough people signed up ahead of time to cover the entire run, and they'd most likely have to pay in advance. And someone will have to coordinate the whole deal, which will take considerable time and effort.

I don't know how large a run must be to get the spring winders to do a batch, perhaps Carl knows?

As the batch size goes UP the unit price comes DOWN. The economic lot size is around 35 sets. Anything less than that and the price per unit goes way up.

The last time we had about 38 sets (4 per set) pre-sold and Courtesy took the whole order for 45 sets.

This was simply a Z Car Community Support effort on the part of Courtesy Nissan Parts. A way of thanking the IZCC and the Classic Z Car Club for their patronage over the years. I doubt they covered their actual costs involved by the time you include the actual cost of the springs, the time taken to mark and repack every set, and then to ship them out to the buyers.

Prepurchase they were $165.00 per set of 4.

IZCC and Classic Z Car Club Members paid $245.00 if they didn't prepurchase.

Standard Internet Price was $279.95

As I recall the shipping was a flat $25.00 per set of 4.

The last time - the Stock and Euro Spec springs had not been available for many years, so there was sufficient pint-up demand to support such an effort. I doubt we could get anywhere near 40 people to sign up today, and I'm sure that Courtesy couldn't afford to be so generous given the state of most Automobile Dealerships now.

Might be worth a try at the end of 2009 if the economy looks like it is going to pick up...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Ok,what are euro springs? are they the ones Nissan had in there old Nismo catalog years back that were supposedly available only in the European market? And what is the difference? Right now I am using MSA springs that I don't particularly care for but are alot better than the 37 year old saggy noodles that were in there before.

• 1 month later...

I'd be in for a set as well. Has any outreach been made to Courtesy Nissan in order to determine their ability to do a group buy considering the economic landscape? I'd be happy to give them a call if someone can provide a name a phone number.

• 11 years later...

Would someone please link me to the thread involving that group buy?  "Bpilate" and Carl Beck led the project through Courtesy Nissan.  I bought two sets from Courtesy back then and they have been sitting on a shelf in the original boxes since. 

I don't remember us having specs. Carl Beck sent the company a set of the Euro Spec II springs to test, as I remember.  I believe they're about 15% stiffer than stock US springs. I have a set of those on my car now. They tend to make the car sit higher than it should, due to the the effect of modern gas pressurized strut inserts that didn't exist in the original 240Z.

• Like 1