IGNORED

Battery Tray fit issue

conedodger

synapse for me...

I just got the MSA battery tray mount kit. The car is a '73 240Z and the battery is an Optima Red Top. The problem of course is that the Red Top is not as tall as the original battery. I suspect the solution is to put something under the battery tray to boost it so that I can engage the bolt at the back and secure the battery properly.

What have you guys used? Something plastic would be great as it wouldn't rot under there. It looks like 3/4" to an inch that it needs to be lifted. I know someone has dealt with this before...

I know you can buy from Nissan a battery holder with drain tube and that should give you maybe a 1/4 of an inch and help drainage for later rust. Then under that I would use some plastic. Careful not to use foam or other materials that will trap moisture.

I figured it out... I went out to the garage and my 11 year old came with me... Eventually he said in his particular tone "watcha doing?" I told him I needed to somehow raise the battery about an inch to get the bolt to engage the hole in the firewall and I showed it to him. Then, I made the off hand comment that if I had the darn plastic adapter that came with the battery, I could just stick it underneath the battery and lift it like it is supposed to be. He lit up and ran to his room, back he comes with the adapter which apparently was being used as a stand for a diorama he had built.

Long story short, it now is secured with the new MSA battery kit. I am a happy dog. (insert wagging tail smiley) I can drive my Z!

More importantly, your eleven year old was able to actually help his Dad! Without him you would still be three hours into an unsolved problem!

Will

Nah! I was all over the TAP Plastic idea. But it is a nice ego boost that Nicho was able to help. Kids need that. Little successes.

Having had the same problem - My battery cable terminals when hooked to the terminals on the battery - hit the frame that surrounds the battery.

On the original batteries - the battery terminals were offset from the centerline toward the front or back of the battery. On the Optima they are close to the centerline. So they don't line up with the little cutouts on the battery hold down frame.

I cut the plastic height adaptor and put it on top of the battery - so that the battery cable terminals would go under the battery hold down frame.

Worked for me - but I'm not really happy with the look..

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

I considered that too. In fact when Nicho brought it out (you should have seen the look on his face. He was so pleased with himself!) I got out the die grinder and hooked it up to my air line. Then I tried the bottom mount and it worked fine. Not sure what battery I have but I am an inch off the frame at the battery mounts.

Anyway, it is in and I am mobile again...

Rob

• 3 months later...