IGNORED

New 240Z Door Panels 70-73

geezer

Those panels have been around for at least 18 months now. Here in the US only one side is available and the other isn't. My local dealer order 4 of the same side thinking they were ordering 2 sets. So I am waiting them out to get them for close to nothing before they toss em in the trash. If you notice on your door panels....they can be used for USDM or JDM cars. The pull handle holes need to be made for the right application.

If you need colored door panels, Les at Classic Datsun has a beautiful kit with the chrome strip and all. He only has skins so you will need good panels to make it happen. I believe the kit goes for under $300 for both sides. I saw a set of white he at the shop that were reapplied to an old panel, they looked awesome.

I purhased a set for my restoration last year. The damn things were a mint. I'm glad to see the price is coming down, I wish I could have saved a $100 or so on my purchase. The quality and workmanship were excellent. If you want to pull your interior together and make your doors stand out that is the only way to go (even though they are expensive).

Ron,

I believe these panels you refer to are older NOS. Yours look identical to the ones my dad found last year. We went to Va Beach last year to cut a Z into 4ths. My dad needed the front clip for his current resto. After the cutting we decided to have a look around. We saw two new 240z door panels in clear plastic with Nissan printed all over it in blue stuffed up in the ceiling of a shipping container. I believe my dad offered the guy $70 a pop and he said yes!!!!! :)

The adhesive looks identical. The ones my dad bought were definately older as there were a few tiny blemishes just from age.

I wouldn't have regret for paying the extra bit from Charlie though. They are beautiful and well worth $400 + or - :)

If you need colored door panels, Les at Classic Datsun has a beautiful kit with the chrome strip and all. He only has skins so you will need good panels to make it happen. I believe the kit goes for under $300 for both sides. I saw a set of white he at the shop that were reapplied to an old panel, they looked awesome.
I plan on doing this for my Blue door panels. I already bought the plastic replacement pieces from him.

The door panels in the picture above are not "NOS". I have a set of NOS panels and the ones that are being sold now, the grain on the panel itself is different. I like the newer panels more anyway but this is why the part number changed a few years back. Anyone with the new panels, take a good look at them and then at the ones on your Z and you will see what I am talking about. Glad to see the prices are back down for now.

Edited by EVILC

The door panels in the picture above is not "NOS". I have a set of NOS panels and the ones that are being sold now and the grain on the panel itself is different. I like the newer panels more anyway but this is why the part number changed a few years back. Anyone with the new panels, take a good look at them and then at the ones on your Z and you will see what I am talking about. Glad to see the prices are back down for now.

Clive, I agree with you. I just compared the panel in my pic with the originals from my 10/70. I would describe these as OEM, not NOS. Looking at the front of the panel it would take an expert who knows what to look for to distinguish the difference. The difference lies with the vinyl around the perimeter. The "new" panels vinyl has a slightly finer grain. The difference is so slight, I could not see a difference until the two panels were side by side. The inner/center coarse vinyl piece is identical to the original. The chrome strip is identical. For a OEM remake, they would exceed anyones expectations. On the other hand I have heard, the ones that were being sold as NOS or Vintage Program leftovers were quite different and easily spotted. I have not studied the VP panels in person and will defer judgement from those who have. The backside of the "new" panels have staples all around the perimeter, whereas the originals have no staples and are only glued, that being the only difference I noted. Both panels came in a single, Nissan logo, purpose designed cardboard box with each panel inside an individual white frosted, plain plastic bag which was taped closed. Kraft paper bundles protected the edges from damage. I would highly recommend these if they are still available.

Very interesting. I assume my dads were actual NOS as they were just glued without staples and were in clear plastic Nissan wrapping that appeared to have quite a bit of age to it.

I have a set just like that which are NOS. ;)

Ron... I'd be happy if the ones I ordered look like that. The glue you're talking about looks like surface rust on the metal in the pics. If they are being restocked in new Nissan packaging' date=' then why arent they available in the US? .... or has anyone tried to order them down there?[/quote']

Do anyone know if they are available in other colors than black ? Is there a different Nissan part number for Red panel ?

I asked the guy at the parts department and he said it doesnt say anything else about it other than the part number and a name. He wasnt even sure what sides were what.

I think you need to find the part # first then call about it. Is it listed in the parts fiche, or a catalog somewhere?