IGNORED

Adam Carolla Discusses Datsuns Toyotas, and Mazdas

Mike

09-21-2008 07:55 PM

carolla610.jpg

Purists may balk, but like it or not, Top Gear USA is coming. One of the hosts was revealed to be Adam Carolla, a comic who built his career on making jokes about STDs and hosting shows whose main feature was girls jumping on trampolines. We’re not sure how bodes for the Top Gear franchise, but at least we now know that at least two Top Gear hosts own Datsuns. Carolla owns a BRE replica 510, a race-modified Fairlady Roadster, and his latest acquisition, a ‘72 Bob Sharp 610, as reported by Motor Trend. The article also mentions the rest of Carolla’s collection, which consists mostly of high-dollar Euro exotica, and discusses his hatred for his Mazda pickup and why a 200,000-mile ‘85 Toyota Supra was the worst car he’s ever owned.

[Motor Trend]

More...

I have met Adam a few times, with his cars, he has a few more Datsun Nissan's that are not listed in that article. His Roadster (listed above) is one of the very few light weight racing roadsters, and it was originally built by BRE. He has a PLN BSR Z race car, a 510 & 610 (listed above) and a street Z from what I have heard.

He shows up regularly on a couple of other car related TV shows and I am sure he will do a good job with Top Gear.

Adam in person seems to be a good, down to earth guy in person. I hope that the show does well here as I enjoy the euro version.

I hope they do have great success with that new show. My wife and I really enjoy the show on BBC America. I think as long as they do not try to mimic the euro show they have a chance. I hope so because I can only watch PINKS a few times before I get bored with it and reruns of old NASCAR races is about the only other option on SPEED now.

Tom

Carolla has claimed in his routines that the name "Carolla" is Italian for "small Japanese car" (though the car, of course, is spelled "Corolla").
Again, I say, 'whatever'. Am I really :stupid: for not knowing the correct spelling of his name? It's more like....I really don't care.:rolleyes: Edited by sblake01

I hope they do have great success with that new show. My wife and I really enjoy the show on BBC America. I think as long as they do not try to mimic the euro show they have a chance.

Tom

I'd actually like them to mimic the BBC show. I find that the American translations of good English telly is bad. The UK version of the "Office" is better, any Gordon Ramsay show on the BBC destroys the Fox versions (see Kitchen Nightmares - the Fox version totally misses the point and neglects to show enough of Gordon's compassionate side).

As much as I think Jeremy Clarkson is a homer, the show is great. I love when he, Richard Hammond and "Capt. Slow" have competitive outings...it's gut busting.

IMHO, the US show will fail. I love Carolla, but he's too big a name. I would have made a play to bring the 3 UK guys over to do the show.