IGNORED

Clunk elimination has begun, with pics

Zedyone_kenobi

Update, the Diff is out and what a job that was... the PO had the exhaust run under it to some degree, so there was some exhaust shuffling going around.. I Think I have reached a while I am at it situation. I may as well order that nice monza exhaust to replace my rusted one. Love the over/under look and 3" piping is just overkill for a stock L24. Here are some pics. I found some nice clear bins I am going to use to clean and store / paint my parts. Half shafts are nice and cozy. Here are my two diffs, the VERY dirty one is the one off the car, the dirty one is potential replacement, I find it interesting how many more casting numbers there are on the diff that came off the car. THere are numbers everywhere. "209" is in several places. ???? you got me.. I will post pics of all the numbers tomorrow when I get some castrol superclean do work its magic.

2834117541_664f1ef2bd_b.jpg

2834117665_685527dfff_b.jpg

2834117875_aea09bc81d_b.jpg

Update.. Not much has happened since this pic was taken. It still pretty much looks like this. But I did manage a trip to the parts store to score package of wire, brass, and hard plastic bristle brushes. Also bought a few more rolls of towels while I was at it. I have a couple of bottles of diluted Castrol Super clean. Once I get them cleaned up, I will start the assembly process. If I still have the clunk, then we will start looking elsewhere.

Is there any trick to removing the yokes coming out of the diff? Looks like one bolt holds each in. Looks straight forward.

No tricks. Single bolt holds it in... I wouldn't sweat the rust stuff too much. Wire brush the loose rust, then wash/rinse/dry followed by your choice of rust inhibitor paint and chassis black topcoat. Then you'll want to do the control arms, mustache bar, halfshafts, driveshaft etc etc etc...

must resist that temptation! Must stay on target. I have a POR-15 starter kit I have yet to open.. It may be enough to do the diff, mustache bars, and half shafts...But I do not know for sure. Only problem is the kit is silver, not grey. So I may have to use something else. Not sure how it would look in silver.

Muwahahaha...(rubs hands)

Starter kit=gateway drug

Won't be long before that nice gray floor is covered with Z parts!

Not intending to self-promote, but check out my picasaweb link and look at the undercarriage after I did POR/Chassis Black. Then go look at yours. Then go order more paint. You...cannot...resist...the urge....

j/k. sorta.

No tricks. Single bolt holds it in... I wouldn't sweat the rust stuff too much. Wire brush the loose rust, then wash/rinse/dry followed by your choice of rust inhibitor paint and chassis black topcoat. Then you'll want to do the control arms, mustache bar, halfshafts, driveshaft etc etc etc...

I agree with xray, I just finished doing mine the same way, as well I glass beaded the cover and finished it with a high temp clearcoat. Here is a photo

Dan

post-15138-14150804503794_thumb.jpg

Update. After evacuating from IKE, we are just getting things back together. I had some roof damage, my fence is in tatters, my bbq pit was beat up. All the trees in my yard were blown completely over. But it could have been worse. I had no water damage, other than a tiny leak that made some of the drywall on my ceiling start to crack, but it could have been much worse. We are lucky. We have power now, and running water. We still have to boil it before each use, but we made it back.

The Z project is going to have to be put on hold for a week or so, until I can mend the roof and fence. Family is well though. My youngest did manage to catch diarrhea in Louisiana, so he is not happy. But work will finish soon enough.

Good to hear some good news. I've been though that fence thing - and our neighborhood has been through the downed trees (although ours stayed upright). Also the loss of power for more than a few days. I put a back-up generator in after the last time - so we could run the whole house including both A/C units. With the water and high humidity - you have to have A/C to prevent mold/meldew growth.. not to mention just living through the heat and humidity of the season. The generator runs on natural or bottled gas - so we have both.

They make sterile bladers that you put in a bath tub - and fill with clean tap water before the storm. That gives you several hundred gallons of reserve. It is amazing how much water you need every day..

Nonetheless, with the approach of any hurricane above Cat. 1 - we'd be out of here way head of everyone. I've been though major storms and I have seen what they can do.. All the measure I've taken, are only intended to let us live though the minor damage you'll see on the very outside fringe of a major storm... So far we have been very lucky here...

Good luck with the fix up projects..

Carl B.