IGNORED

240Z Luggage Strap Variations

Mike B

Mat,

Ours cars are probably twins. My car is hls30-20419 and color 918, also with the flip release seat belt buckles.

Series 1 cars, with all of the correct characteristics, were manuf. through the middle of 1/71. On Carl Beck's site, the last series 1 car that he has found is hls30-20438.

Mat, not to hijack this thread, but does your glove box have the key code decal inside the lid, and is it filled out? Do you have the original keys?

Dan

Very close, indeed! When I go out to the parking lot to drive home, I will check on the key code sticker (AFAIK, I am using the 3 original keys, one for the door, one for the ignition, and one for the fuel door), and when I get home I will look into the luggage straps.

Mike,

Are your close-ups of different texture? I seem to recall mine are real smooth weave and not as rough looking as your pictures. I'll have to go out to the shop and dig around. All the hardware is silver sink plated? And I see you still have the little plastic strap sleeves.

I have posted this before, but this place is an excellent place to get belts and straps restored. http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

Of course, it wouldn't be odd to find an exception to the various lengths. Have a look at this seat belt I bought on eBay. Manufactured in 1972?

Yes Chris, I'm not sure how well it shows up in the pictures, but the first two straps are much rougher than the third, which is made of material very similar to the seatbelts. Yes, all the hardware is silver plated as shown.

I was going to use ssnake-oyl.com to restore my seatbelts, but the ones in #32 are like new and I found a set recently that are almost as good for #237. I plan to just transfer the 1969 date tags I have onto that set.

-Mike

Mike, so far I have only been able to locate the shorter, smoother sets of straps. I will keep checking.

[sidebar] AZ-240, Yes, my glovebox does have the key code decal, and yes, it is filled out! [/sidebar]

I was going to use ssnake-oyl.com to restore my seatbelts, but the ones in #32 are like new and I found a set recently that are almost as good for #237. I plan to just transfer the 1969 date tags I have onto that set.
Mike, I don't know what your ultimate plans for those two cars are, but despite how good they look, if you intend to drive the cars much you may want to have the belts restored anyway. I don't quite trust 38 year old nylon webbing. I will probably be sending mine off to Ssnake-oyl this coming winter.

Mike, I was cataloging some spare parts and packing them away when I came across a set of the long luggage straps. They also are woven from the heavier/coarse material you have described. These came from a '70 parts car. From the looks of these, they have never been extended. I think I got a good pic of the weave texture.

So they must be original to the car then. I'll have to put them back in. Given the history of the car and how original it is I thought it was strange that one of the two prior owners would have replaced these. Thanks Carl!

-Mike

Hi Mike:

Yes - I'd put them back in. They seem to be pretty rare and gives you yet another talking point to show people on such a rare Z Car.

I have pictures of about 20 69 Production Year cars - and so far only two have the longer luggage straps with the buckle. Looks like Ron found one also...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Mike,

I have never seen such a long one.Good Find:classic:

Has anyone noted two types of location of the strap with the buckles?

You can see it in the service manual issued 1969,the ones begin from behind seats and the others begin from the tail light panel.BTW, the strap with the buckles looks ordinaly typical length, i.e,not so long.

About typical length, I found 2 types of length.I do not know the difference simply comes from quality of manufacturing in late 60's or not.

I will post pictures when I back home.

kats

Kats,

This is the only page I see in the 1969 Chassis and Body Service Manual with a picture of the luggage straps. The picture looks like the same one from the later editions as well. I think the straps are the same length, just the angle of the photo makes one look slightly longer. You are right, they look to be the standard size, not the longer ones like I have in #32.

-Mike

post-9102-14150803567772_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803568188_thumb.jpg

Hi Kats! Good to see you pipe in on this subject!

Both 26th and 27th came equipped with the short straps. After looking at them and measuring them, I recognize the texture of the strap weave. It is course like those pictured. The straps we are talking about have the hardware sewn to either end and the other half of the luggage strap is the tail. There is no way to get them mounted backwards. For information, my straps measure 16 inches ( 40.6 cm ) and the tails measure 52 inches ( 132 cm ). What is troubling me is that all the pictures and references show the short straps - or straps that position the hardware in line with the shock towers. I would like to see pictures from brochures that show the longer strap length. Perhaps the 280Z brochures? Anyone have those?