IGNORED

240Z Luggage Strap Variations

Mike B

I was putting my new carpet in #32 today and after I got it all back together it seemed like I had a lot of extra length left over on the luggage straps. I looked at my other cars and noticed the top part of the strap with the buckles was much longer in #32 than the other straps I have. I have some extras from parts cars, so I switched them out with a smaller pair. I also noticed that there seem to be two different types of material used on the strap sets I have. On some sets the material is rougher and has more of a square weave to it, and on other sets the material is much smoother and has more of a diagonal weave to it. The smoother set seems like it is made out a similar material to the seat belts. I think the rougher sets may be from earlier cars. The longer straps in #32 were the rougher material. Here are some pictures of the straps showing how much longer the straps are and close ups of the different material. The rougher material is on the top two (first two close ups) and the smoother material is on the bottom one (last close up). The last two pics are how they looked mounted in the car.

-Mike

post-9102-14150803554082_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1415080355466_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803555085_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803555501_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803555925_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803556345_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803556763_thumb.jpg

Mike,

This picture from the 1970 brochure. Notice the position of the buckle. I think short straps were the fashion of the day for our early queens. My guess would be that after realizing that the short straps didn't hold much more than a B cup, Datsun gave us longer straps for our double Ds. (Daily Driver)

post-4148-14150803557205_thumb.jpg

Chris,

The top straps are the ones with the buckles and your brochure picture is similar to what I have seen in every other 240Z, short upper buckle straps and longer bottom straps. The straps in #32 had long upper buckle straps in addition to the longer bottom straps. Since I haven't seen any other straps that long in any other early cars or even pictures of them I would guess they were not original to the car. I'm not sure if they are from another car (maybe a 510 wagon or something?) or maybe you could order longer upper straps through the dealer if you have some large items to strap down on a regular basis (your DD example for instance).

The material difference is still interesting though. I'd be curious to hear what other people have in their cars. My 5/72 has the smooth material straps. The 6/74 parts catalog only shows one part number (96850-E4100 Assy - Band Parcel) through 7/73.

-Mike

Mike,

Are your close-ups of different texture? I seem to recall mine are real smooth weave and not as rough looking as your pictures. I'll have to go out to the shop and dig around. All the hardware is silver sink plated? And I see you still have the little plastic strap sleeves.

I have posted this before, but this place is an excellent place to get belts and straps restored. http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

Of course, it wouldn't be odd to find an exception to the various lengths. Have a look at this seat belt I bought on eBay. Manufactured in 1972?

post-4148-14150803561128_thumb.jpg

Mike great pics. I will have a look-see at my inventory in the barn. I THINK the only style I have ever seen is the short-strap type.

26th, did 72s still use the flap type buckle? My 8/71 has the push button style. [edit] I see your point now. apparently Nissan used what they had when tehy needed it. [/edit]

Hey Mat, yeah let me know what you find. I think 26th is trying to point out that there are some oddities out there, since he found a series 1 seatbelt (which change to the push botton style around 12/70) that has a 2/72 tag on it. I guess that would indicate that this was a replacement belt made in the series 1 style, or maybe someone just put a 1972 date tag on an earlier belt?

-Mike

I will!

You must have been typing while I was editing! Ha!

For the record, my 1/71 has the flapper buckles, with a 12/70 man. stamp. Apparently, my car made it in just under the wire!

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Over the years I have found that as soon as an aspect of the S30 gets nailed down, the exception is discovered. I was shocked to see the date stamp on this belt. It makes no sense for a lift buckle to have that date when we all know the push button buckle was installed much earlier. I believe that by 1972, the lift buckle mechanism was no longer legal. So this is very strange.

Did any other Datsuns even have luggage straps similar to the ones in a 240Z? I was wondering if someone replaced the ones in #32 at some point with longer ones, but I'm not sure what other Datsun they could be from? I threw out a WAG of a 510 wagon since they have a bigger cargo area, but I don't know if they even had luggage straps.

-Mike

I will!

You must have been typing while I was editing! Ha!

For the record, my 1/71 has the flapper buckles, with a 12/70 man. stamp. Apparently, my car made it in just under the wire!

Mat,

Ours cars are probably twins. My car is hls30-20419 and color 918, also with the flip release seat belt buckles.

Series 1 cars, with all of the correct characteristics, were manuf. through the middle of 1/71. On Carl Beck's site, the last series 1 car that he has found is hls30-20438.

Mat, not to hijack this thread, but does your glove box have the key code decal inside the lid, and is it filled out? Do you have the original keys?

Dan

HLS30 00240 has the long buckle straps Build 11/69

FWIW,

Carl B.

So they must be original to the car then. I'll have to put them back in. Given the history of the car and how original it is I thought it was strange that one of the two prior owners would have replaced these. Thanks Carl!

-Mike