IGNORED

Electro-Plating Tailight Trim?

Oiluj

Actually it is very easy to remove old chrome plating from plastic parts. Just put them in muratic acid and the chrome will dissolve over several days. If you are satisfied with the loss of detail, then go for it, but I will be holding out for something that is more original looking.-Mike

Mike,

On the few parts I've seen where this process was used the plastic surface was damaged. Perhaps it was the quality of workmanship as opposed to the process.

Either way, I'm kinda like a crow. I like shiny things...

If you saw what Norm started with on my cores you would be amazed. The detail in the black was gone before he started. I was happy the day I unpacked them and I still am today. He did have a little bit of a challenge getting the left one to plate do to the years of exhaust fumes and smoke rolling over it. They are shiny they are done and they are mine.
After seeing them in person, I was impressed. Perhaps they aren't good enough for a concours car, but they'd do for pretty much any other purpose. The chrome is shinier and nicer looking than Jim's pictures show. (Taking good pictures of chrome is a b!tch.) And they are better looking than 95% or more of the trim you will find out there these days.

I have 2 sets of 74.5-78 taillight chrome I'd be interested in having replated. Both have the chrome paint peeling off, but are in decent shape plastic-wise. That's 4 pieces there. If we can't do the bulk deal, perhaps someone could get me the contact info to a place?

• 4 months later...

Several months ago I decided to try to get the taillight trim for my 240Z replated. I broke apart all of the sets I have with bad chrome (most all of them). I stripped the chrome off with Muratic acid, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Here are some pictures of what I started with and what they look like after I removed the chrome.

I bought some POR-15 expoxy putty and filled and sanded any damaged areas. Unfortunately, I can't find the pictures I took after I completed that step.

-Mike

post-9102-14150805290186_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805290685_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805291315_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1415080529174_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805292161_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805292587_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805293021_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805293449_thumb.jpg

I searched around and found someone that could electroplate plastic, so I made a deal to have him plate 2 sets of taillight trim and several other things for me. It was a package deal, so I can't really give an exact price for just the trim, but it was a little less than Zeddsavers price of $150 per set.

After a lot of drama and months of wondering if I was ever going to get my stuff or my money back I finally received the replated trims and some of my other plastic items a couple of days ago. In my opinion they look great. I was very pleased that the middle detail still looks really good. I was surprised at how heavy the trims are after plating. It looks like a real quality job. I think they will hold up much better than the factory plating. I did some initial polishing of the plastic cases tonight and put the chrome trim back on one set. I still need to paint the middle sections black and put the backs on.

Unfortunately, I'm still working on getting the rest of my stuff back, so I can't really recommend this guy yet, but I am hoping he gets his situation back under control and doesn't go under with this down turn in the economy. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Mike

post-9102-14150805293876_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805294355_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805294857_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805295285_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805295716_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805296147_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1415080532088_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805321328_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805321746_thumb.jpg

Did the company you delt with - explain the process they used?

Hi Carl,

No, he didn't go into the process of how the plastic is made conductive so that it can be plated. I know that some people use a spray on metalic coating. After that, it is the standard plating process starting with a copper base. I'm not sure he'll divugle his secret, but I'll check with him.

-Mike

You might also try this company for rechroming plastic. They did a show-quality refinish to my 260Z tail light trim. The cost was $260.00 for the pair. The turn around time was roughly 4 weeks.

Custom Coatings

4794-C Woodlane Circle

Tallahassee, Fl. 32303

850-562-0538

www.customcoatings.net

I believe they may even have refinished pieces on hand.

Good luck.

Fixitman

post-16252-1415080532384_thumb.jpg

post-16252-14150805324104_thumb.jpg

Can you explain the stripping process. I would imagine the prep work is key to a quality finish.

Thanks' date='

John[/quote']

Sure, it is really easy. Just pour the muratic acid in a glass or plastic container that is long and wide enough to submerse both the trim strips in. The container should be as close to the size of the strips as possible so you won't use as much acid. DO NOT USE A METAL PAN, since the acid will react with the metal. As the acid dissolves the chrome, it bubbles and gives off some gases, so I cover the container loosely with some plastic wrap to keep it from splashing out. I store it outside in a shed to keep the fumes away from the house and out of the elements. Turn the trim strips every day or two to rotate all the sides. I use eye protection and disposable plastic gloves to handle the trim once it is in the acid and to remove it. The chrome should all dissolve within a week or two. You can speed up the process by scraping the loose chrome off with a plastic scraper as it dissolves. When all the chrome is gone I just used paper towels to dry them off and the rinse off with a hose and dry again. I used the same acid to do several plastic pieces and when I was done I put it back in the empty container and turned it in to a local hazardous materials collection site.

As for the rest of the prep, it was just using the epoxy putty and sanding it very smooth using various levels of sandpaper. I'm not sure what additional prep the chrome guy does prior to chroming.

-Mike

Edited by Mike B
typo