IGNORED

Electro-Plating Tailight Trim?

Oiluj

Anyone interested in splitting the cost of electro-plating tail-light trim pieces?

I'm looking at vendors now. So far it looks like there is about a $250 minimum charge. Please let me know if you know of a good vendor.

I'm thinking that if several of us do them at the same, we can get them done at a reasonable cost for everyone involved.

I have two sets to do, (4 pieces), and I'm willing to organize things unless someone else would prefer to do it.

I'm thinking that if several of us do them at the same, we can get them done at a reasonable cost for everyone involved.

I meant to say "if several of us do them at the same time"... Sometimes my brain moves faster than my typing fingers.

Julio,

Do you mean the plastic chromed strip on the taillights? True electoplating of plastic is difficult and not many people seem to be able to do it. Have you already found someone able to do the work, and if so, what was the cost per piece? Have you seen examples of any other chromed plastic work they have done?

-Mike

Yes, that's the part I'm talking about. Since they were origninally chrome-electroplated, that's the only good way to re-do them and expect the the chrome finish to last.

Zedsavers quoted me $300 to do my 4 pieces. I found one other vendor who has a minimum charge of $250. I still need to talk with one more vendor, but expect their pricing to be similar.

My expectation is that all the vendors will add incremental cost for additional pieces, but we should be able to reduce our individual cost if we have more parts in a "batch" order.

I have not physically seen the quality of plating other than on the web, but I will insist on good quality for that kind of money. I read somewhere here on forum that Zedsaver's work looked good.

Just got an e-mail from that vendor today. They estimated about $75 to $100 per piece. That sounds about the same as Zedsaver. I'm still thinking we can probably get better pricing with a larger piece order.

I read somewhere here on forum that Zedsaver's work looked good.

I think Zeddsaver will probably be at the Canby show this weekend. If so, I'll post some pictures of his work afterwards. I am wondering if he does true electroplating of the plastic though, and not the vacuum metalization process that does not hold up well on exterior parts.

-Mike

I would be interested as well but not for $75 a peice. Being as how I do the LED conversion on the 240Z taillights, I'm always looking for an alternative to the process I do. I run them under warm water and use "0000" Steel wool. It seems to clean them up very nice with NO scratching of the chrome. But that only goes as far as the condition of the chrome under the smoke and dirt damage.

If I knew exactly what was involved in the plating process, I'd buy the supplies and do everything myself and if I like the results, I'd offer it to everyone.

Mike, remind me about the vender at Canby. I'm an airhead on the week-ends.

Dave.