IGNORED

New here from South Africa

In the past I have forwarded info about him to Carl, Merlin but it did not pass through the censorship.

Hello Martin:

Good to see you here. I am sorry that you felt the information you sent me, about Mr. van Bergen was "censored" by me. The word "censorship" carries a connotation that I do not believe applies in this case. To the best of my knowledge, no one (Merlin nor myself) is attempting to stop information about Mr. van Bergen from being published... ie censorship.

The truth of the matter is that while I personally found it interesting from the perspective of Datsun/Nissan history - there was very little information related to Mr. Van Bergen and the Z Car, ie. the main theme of "the Z Car Home Page". So I didn't really see much Z content to publish there.

TSK 33 SA 694 - I believe that van Bergen had the lowest finishing position of any of the Factory Teams running Datsun 240-Z's in the 71, 72 and 73 Monte Carlo Rally (10th OA in 71), so at the time, I couldn't build a story around that, without a lot more information.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Carl. Bad choice of words. :stupid: Sorry.

By the way van Bergen retired form motor sport and from Nissan Japan in 71, so could not compete in Monte in '72 or '73.

The reason for their retirement in '71 was blocked fuel line.

M

Hi Martin:

There was an interesting article about Shekhar Menta in the Fall 2007 edition of NISSAN SPORT Magazine. Titled: "UNSTOPPABLE - Remembering teh remarkable life, of arguably the greatest East African Safari Rally driver ever: Shekhar Menta".

Perhaps you could review that article - then put together an article of equal detail, that covers Mr. vanBergen's years with Nissan/Datsun - based on your research, your interviews with him and the photo's etc. you have collected.

http://www.nissansportmag.com/

I'm sure NISSAN SPORT would like more coverage of the International Rally scene, and you could get the word out to a fairly broad base of Nissan Enthusiasts. Contact NISSAN SPORT if you don't have that issue - I'm sure they would send you a copy of the article about Shekhar for reference, layout and content expected.

FWIW,

Carl B.

We drive on left here. My LHD is originaly from Germany, judging by the stickers... This one will be "Classic" and when I am done with it, she will reside at my parents place in Poland. There is so many classic events to do in Europe. M

• 9 years later...