IGNORED

240z - Hand Throttle - Need Help

FilipeA

Enrique,

I had a look in your gallery and noted that your hand throttle slot is only half that of the choke (same as Marty's). All HS30 that I have seen in NZ that have hand throttles are full length like mine. Hmmm, I wonder why the change.

My hand throttle lever looks similar -- full length, only because I fashioned one out of a choke lever. Yours is the first I've ever seen full length and with the arched groove/slide (whatever) for it to track through. To modify the choke lever I had to do some bending so it would fit in the top plate at the right angle. It appears that it would work if I ever set up a cable (my car has the bracket and correct accelerator pedal), but I was more going for the look than the actual function since I had a nice plastic throttle knob I found on eBay that was listed as a choke knob so was very reasonable to buy. I'm somewhat of a split personality between original parts and modified (updated/upgraded) parts for my car.

FilipeA; Hi Thank You everyone, but still missing the measures of the metal bracket ?!!! Fil

I've a couple old extra brackets if FilipeA is looking for the cradle like part that the levers attach to under the console. They aren't perfect, but FilipeA is welcome to one of them for the cost of postage. They could be cleaned up easily or he could use them solely for measurements. Just let me know an address and I'll find out a shipping cost.

FilipeA,

I found the bracket from #881 and I was looking at another parts car I have (produced 9/70) and it had a bracket too, although a slightly different design. I then found the accelerator pedals for both cars and noticed that the trottle cable attachment point is also slightly different. See attached pictures. The earlier pedal and bracket are both on the left in the pictures. Let me know which you want measurements of.

-Mike

post-9102-14150802485462_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150802486167_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150802486824_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1415080248726_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150802487693_thumb.jpg

FilipeA,

I found the bracket from #881 and I was looking at another parts car I have (produced 9/70) and it had a bracket too, although a slightly different design. I then found the accelerator pedals for both cars and noticed that the trottle cable attachment point is also slightly different. See attached pictures. The earlier pedal and bracket are both on the left in the pictures. Let me know which you want measurements of.

-Mike

Hi Mike

Thank You for your time, I would like to have the measures of left bracket.

By the way if anyone have a spare bracket I will buy it.

Thank You

Filipe Azevedo

I had a look at the unused throttle cable bracket on my 10/70. It is the same as the one Mike has shown on the right. I find it interesting that the new, improved version of the bracket was adapted to the HLS30's destined for North America, even though it was known to be not needed any longer.

Filipe:

Having seen which bracket measurements you were looking for, I am wondering if you're trying to replicate the part? If so, why go to so much trouble when it's ONLY purpose is to hold on to the cable sheath in line with the Accelerator Pedal Clevis. You could use a pair of Zip-Ties and achieve the same thing.

But that's just my 2¢

E

I've a couple old extra brackets if FilipeA is looking for the cradle like part that the levers attach to under the console. They aren't perfect, but FilipeA is welcome to one of them for the cost of postage. They could be cleaned up easily or he could use them solely for measurements. Just let me know an address and I'll find out a shipping cost.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking about -- now that Mike posted photos I realize you are talking about the bracket the hangs below the dash. G.

I fabbed a dash bracket for my 71. This lever is very sensitive and the cable end has a tendancy to hang on the pedal bracket causing higher that pulled-in idle if you hit the pedal. I rarely use it but leave in place as it is period correct. The only reason I can sumise for it's existance is to warm up the engine without loading the spark plugs with excessive fuel. My Z is well tuned and a cold natured bugger. It will stall at every stop (without fuel enrichment) until it has reached operating temps for several minutes. If you choice to make your fast idle circuit functional NEVER use it as a cruise control if you value your car or physical wellbeing.

I fabbed a dash bracket for my 71. This lever is very sensitive and the cable end has a tendancy to hang on the pedal bracket causing higher that pulled-in idle if you hit the pedal. I rarely use it but leave in place as it is period correct. The only reason I can sumise for it's existance is to warm up the engine without loading the spark plugs with excessive fuel. My Z is well tuned and a cold natured bugger. It will stall at every stop (without fuel enrichment) until it has reached operating temps for several minutes. If you choice to make your fast idle circuit functional NEVER use it as a cruise control if you value your car or physical wellbeing.

Check that the nylon washer isn't shifting on you as you accelerate with your foot.

And you surmise correctly. Once the engine has started, additional Choke (gas and not a mix of gas/air) does not help the engine warm up any quicker.

But your post bears repeating, and I added some emphasis.

Remember, the Hand Throttle is the equivalent of a BRICK on top of your Accelerator Pedal. It does not have an automatic cut-off circuit.

FWIW

E

Most of the carburated boats I have owned were equipt with a throttle control lever. The difference was, the levers were only able to be used in Neutral. Nissan probably found it simply easier to eliminate them instead of designing a safeguard such as that. At the time they were trying to keep up with an incredible demand and would have opted for a solution that wouldn't have to be approved before being imported.