IGNORED

Low Mileage Series I on Ebay

lonetreesteve

Carl - Thanks for explaining in terms I can get my head around. You are so right in breaking it down into different markets and the value associated with each market. I know I'm guilty of looking at a car and evaluating it for my own purposes, without giving it the due consideration what it might be worth to someone with a different plan for it. In this case, no matter what market you represent, the seller leaves a lot to be desired and could use a lesson from a real salesman.

I believe the seller is very confused as to who sets the market for these cars. He is also sadly confused as to exactly what market his Z would sell into.
And following this statement above is a very well written analysis. Excellent explanation, Carl. I agree with it all.
Look at Arne's Z with 65K miles for something less than $6K (was it?).. vs the current offering with 40K miles at $20K.... just isn't that much difference.
Exactly the point I wanted to make. Although I must admit that I did pay more than $6k for mine - a full $7k in fact. And - as an enthusiast, not a collector or restorer - I will admit to you guys here that the slow refresh that I am performing has brought my investment up to almost $10k now. And that is before the still needed paint, carpet and seat rebuild.

But here's the key. As Carl pointed out, the subject of this thread will need all the same stuff that my car needs, even for an enthusiast, who is probably the least picky buyer of the bunch. So add $5-8k to the purchase price to have a high #3 or low #2 car to drive a bit for fun. So I still think it's a $10-12k car, being on the East Coast. A bit less if it were here out West.

I looked for more photos of the car but I must have deleted them at some point. I can tell you that the bottom as well as the suspension components was showing sighs of at the least surface rust. I hope the owner by saying that the bottom had been detailed does not mean that they undercoated the bottom of the car to cover the problem!

Jerry

I thought detailing was just very good cleaning.

Well, that is my definition... but often it involves wax, and conditioners for leather and vinyl surfaces. I wonder how one "details" the underside of a car beyond just taking to Mike's Express car wash and paying for the "Works Wash'?

LOL

But I have learned my lesson... I will NEVER again say anything nice about a car for sale on Ebay.

(Not that I would be interested in this car. For 20K it would have to be perfectly restored, or literally brand new to get my attention.)

Now, if this guy didn't come across as such a blowhard, maybe he'd make some money on this car. In a somewhat related event, at BJ this year a 280Z hybrid went for 17k and change. Looks like the market may be split between solid originals and well-executed resto-mods. Whatever you think of his tactics, his auctions represent a different group of car collectors than usually are interested in the Z, and it's good to see imports get some decent prices at his auction

A short follow up. I was high bidder again ($15,200) but did not meet the reserve. Once again I was not pushed to my max bid. If the seller has an offer of 18k he might want to jump on it!

Jerry

I have been in that situation before, where I had bid short of the reserve, but substantialy more than was shown at the end of the auction. Does the seller ever find out what your maximum bid was?