IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

15 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Yes, there were dedicated mount points in the radiator sore support panels. Top mounts required brackets between the (captive nut) mounts and the cooler and bottom mounts bolted straight through the core support.

The top mounts have a certain amount of 'spring' built into them, which is most likely designed to give some vibration damping effect?

Here's the cooler on my 432-R replica project car:

Cooler and bottle.jpg

Thanks Alan, I have never seen that pictures of works rally car before, very interesting!

I count and would call it 18 version, the outer pieces on both sides are just a frame, no oil go through.

And your Z432-R project car has also the 18 version!

So what kind of car does 14 version fit in? 

Kats

12 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

A core is the galley by which the oil flows through.  At first, I noticed a difference between the top brackets.  One side mount and another top mount, as you show, Alan.  But I see both side and top on the 18 core cooler, so...

Hi Chris, I see it is interesting too, maybe for a quick replacements in a pit work? The one near the hose attached looks preventing the nut from being obscured.

Kats

52 minutes ago, Patcon said:

That's super cool you were able to make that contact Kats!

Indeed! Great detective work, Kats.

I don't know if it is of interest, but the old UK concessionaires 'Datsun UK' recommended Glasurit (German) brand paints for repairs back in the early 1970s. They quoted mix formulas for #903 Blue Metallic in both their 20 and 21 Line paint systems. I would imagine that they must have been quite a close match to the original Nissan paints at the time?

Glasurit-1.jpg

Glasurit-2.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Indeed! Great detective work, Kats.

I don't know if it is of interest, but the old UK concessionaires 'Datsun UK' recommended Glasurit (German) brand paints for repairs back in the early 1970s. They quoted mix formulas for #903 Blue Metallic in both their 20 and 21 Line paint systems. I would imagine that they must have been quite a close match to the original Nissan paints at the time?

Glasurit-1.jpg

Glasurit-2.jpg

That would be good info for the technical resource area. Glasurit paints are still available, as far as i know.

Maybe people could add there paint formulas for factory color match and provide the specs for the paint they used

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 10:37 AM, HS30-H said:

I can't remember how many sections are on the two 432-R coolers I've got, but I'll count them. I also have a Works 240Z rally cooler and I count 19 sections (cores?). Here it is in period, still attached to the (heavily crashed) car that it came from, one of the 1973 Monte Carlo Rallye cars, built in 1972:

8512-OWSS-11.JPG

8512-OWSS-15.JPG

To follow up on this, here's the above-pictured cooler as it survives today. 50 year gap between photos:

8512 Cooler-1.jpg

8512 Cooler-3 .jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, HS30-H said:

To follow up on this, here's the above-pictured cooler as it survives today. 50 year gap between photos:

8512 Cooler-1.jpg

8512 Cooler-3 .jpg

Thanks Alan, so you pulled it out from the works rally car, what a wonderful thing you have got!

The small label shows February 1971, must be corresponding to the car’s manufacture date. 

I need to put the label on to my oil coolers! 

Kats

20 hours ago, kats said:

This week I met two very important people for us. Mr.Miyazaki, a former member of vehicle test group for Europe and also did aero dynamics analysis for S30.

And Mr. Uemura, a former member of Kaku - U team (test drive in US & Canada) and also he designed general layout of S30 chassis and suspension components.

The picture is Mr. Miyazaki, he told me a lot of new things which we have never heard of before. 

One of them is, each our S30 can be tracked down by chassis number to see when it was made. Not only that, it can be tracked down by chassis number to see it was made in daylight time zone or midnight time zone. 

This story is like this, Mr.Miyazaki said to me,

“ one day I visited Nissan Shatai around 2:00 a.m. midnight to see how workers were doing at the assembly line. Nissan got complaints from customers about insufficient looking of rear deck vinyl trim. 
It was not only a single complaint, one after another.

AND ALL OF THEM WERE CARS MADE AT MIDNIGHT.

I was surprised, a quite young girl was working and crawling and sitting in a rear deck to sticking the vinyl trims. She was an only worker who did the job at the assembly line. I felt sorry for her, I couldn’t say harsh words to her”.

Then I asked Mr.Miyazaki how did you know it was happened at midnight, Mr.Miyazaki said

“Nissan Shatai has the data, each car can be tracked down by the chassis number. In this case, interior trim section had three or four time zone, each time zone they recorded chassis number they worked”

Can we see when our cars were served at the assembly line? Mr.Miyazaki said “they might still have the record, I think”

I hope it too!

Kats

1FE7FAEE-5760-42A0-A434-6D3C7A3E3FD2.jpeg

Thanks a lot for sharing this information again.
1) I'm currently working on a bigger story about the development of the "Final Euro Spec" cars where Mr. Miyazaki was involved. but it's hard to find a lot of information about it, especially from serious sources.
2) It would be lovely to find the exact records of ones car's production. Like how did the specify the trim / marked specific details for the production workers, etc. and especialyl which day (and even what time of the day!) the car was completed in each production step.
It's a bit sad that Nissan doesn't share a lot of records with the public in the matters of old cars. When you think about Porsche, Mercedes, etc. they all have specialized "classic cars" departments, that help the vintage cars customers to find all this data and details about your car. I even think about it as a paid service. Want to get some details about your car? You spend for the time they research, but then get officially approved information from the factory. I'm not sure but i don't think such a service exists, and i have tried to reach out to nissan via various channels to get data about my cars confirmed. but didn't even get an answer.

Edited by JDMjunkies.ch
  • Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 3:38 AM, kats said:

I have been looking for original color for my blue 240Z, color “Universal Blue 903”.

I finally got to know the manufacturer DAI NIPPON TORYO (DNT) and they made a sample for me for free of charge.

We know Nissan used TANABE KAGAKU for the metallic paint, and there are mixing ratio of colors, this information can be seen only in Fairlady Z service manual. I have never came up to see those instructions in any other manuals. That means there is no information for Universal Blue 903 because it wasn’t available for Fairlady Z series. And seemed no Nissan domestic cars were sold in blue 903.(maybe I might be wrong).

But I tried to ask a local paint shop which is very helpful for me and they found TANABE KAGAKU was merged into DNT.

DNT replied they still have data of Nissan metallic 903 and 901 which they were originally provided by TANABE KAGAKU.

Unfortunately, today’s paint isn’t the same like 1969 acrylic enamel paint. But I am happy that I think the paint has DNA of original 903/901.

Please see the samples, I think it looks little bit lighter than my original 903 around the spare tire area, I have to decide to go with 903 or put a little bit arrange with this 903.

Also, I really love 901 silver. I realized that my Z432 has much brighter silver, so back to 901 will be on my to-do list too.

Kats

16AD786A-E384-46FB-8353-C8345B76BBC3.jpeg

That's really cool. It's maybe a bit off-topc. but i got a few original Datsun UK Colour sample booklets, from various years, and the colour combinations (interieur / exterieur) that were sold in the UK.
20230111_174649-Kopie.jpg?ssl=1

If you're interested, you can find them all here (for later cars i even have interieur fabric samples) as photos, but also high-resolution Pdf scans.
https://www.jdmjunkies.ch/wordpress/2023-01-11/240z-various-datsun-z-zx-color-charts-brochures/

And some different versions (including 240Z) can be found here:
https://www.jdmjunkies.ch/wordpress/2021-05-30/240z-datsun-colour-code-brochure/

• Like 3