IGNORED

Changing out Heater Core in 1971 240Z

bobc

Well, I feel like Indiana Jones. Getting the heater core out was just one adventure after another. Took about 5 hours to get it out. I've got to admit I spent a lot of time just looking at it trying to figure out my next step. I didn't want to force anything, so sometimes it took a little more time than if I knew what I was doing. The air box assembly (with heater core) can be taken out without removing the dash (recommended), but in my opinion taking the glove box out is not an option. It makes the job so much easier.

Lastly, if you don't remove the passenger seat to do this job, you're either in your early teens or twenty's or need to audition boe circ de sole!

One Question - Anybody found a good replacement for the foam pad used in the heater box to seal the door that flips up and down for heat or defrost???

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I'll let you know if everything works once I get it all back together.

Bob

One Question - Anybody found a good replacement for the foam pad used in the heater box to seal the door that flips up and down for heat or defrost???
Self-adhesive foam weatherstripping, as designed for house doors and windows. Works well, easy to find, affordable, easy to work with.

This past week I had to change the hoses going to the heater I would of like to have changed all three but I could only get to two of them without have to take out the blower. I did take out the glove box only for more light to get down there. I should of taken out the seat it would of help my back a lot.

So now that I could only get the two hoses I'm going to find a heater core and new hoses as the ones I put in where used. And do it all and hopefully forget about it.

Well, I feel like Indiana Jones. Getting the heater core out was just one adventure after another. Took about 5 hours to get it out.

Bob

it goes faster if you take off the hat, but the whip comes in handy for those really 'tough' screws!!ROFL

glad to hear it went well.

I used a cheap mousepad (a throw-away from work-plastic on one side-closed cell neoprene on the other) and spray can of contact cement. It was the right thickness----just trim to shape, clean the metal flapper before glueing, spray both surfaces, let sit a few minutes and carefully apply.

No more loud "kaathunk" when it closes!

Jim D.

it goes faster if you take off the hat, but the whip comes in handy for those really 'tough' screws!!ROFL

glad to hear it went well.

My cat hates you....:mad:

Thanks to this, I splurted coffee, (did I say thanks for the mess?) everywhere. And when I say everywhere I mean...EVERYWHERE.

So, unfortunately, the fine haired persian mix in front of me is understandably upset. :surprised

You get to explain why she needed a bath. :lick:

E

P.S.: The Monitor will need cleaning, but you owe me a keyboard. I can't find the mouse....